PDA

View Full Version : Did you know + Help needed with starting problem on 96 tdi

jacko
05-06-2006, 07:26 PM
New to this, so hello to everyone.

I have a trusty 96 tdi golf (110bhp oetlinger uprated to 135bhp) that has covered over 320 000 kms (LHD hence Km), and i'm sure some of you will be interested to know that it went back to 0 when it hit 300 000!!

Anyway: It has a starting problem and wondering if anyone knows the solution?!

Symptoms:

Will start when engine is hot, however when cold the glow plug circuit comes on when it chooses, mostly not at all now?!

I have replaced all 4 glow plugs as they are all not working, however this does not seem to be the main cause of the problem!

Fuse on bulkhead fine.

I have got back to the glow plug relay in the fuse box: basically the relay seems to be fine however no power seems to be getting to it to activate it.
One can make the car start as normal if you take the back off the relay and push the contacts together as if the relay had power coming to it (to activate it) hold for 5 or so seconds allowing the glow plugs to do the job and the car starts fine.

My question is what is the next component in line that gives the power to the relay?!

Help much appriectiated!

Many thanks,

Jack

bilal aslam
28-02-2007, 10:22 PM
hi i have a vw sharan with same prob i went toelectrition he took the temp sender conection of the car starts on the second try but if you put the temp sender connection back on the same problem occures i wont start well i have booked mine in for a check up tomorrow wish me luck they find the probs