PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Problems!!!

79dougb
03-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi all,

Just bought a 1996 A4 B5. Very pleased with it aside from 2 things...

1. When braking, there is a horrible grinding sounding sound just as the car is coming to rest. The dealer said that this is normal when "wearing in" new brake discs. He is telling the truth regarding the brake discs being new but I'm not to sure this noise is quite right. I can also feel it badly under the brake pedal as well when it grinds. Has anyone had this on an Audi (or other car)?

2. The digital climate control system is a bit haphazard. When I turn the ignition I can use all the functions correctly, then after 4-5 mins I cannot decrease the temperature or turn the fans up; but I can increase temperature and turn fans down?!?! Again can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Doug

Lex Luthor
03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
1. When braking, there is a horrible grinding sounding sound just as the car is coming to rest. The dealer said that this is normal when "wearing in" new brake discs. He is telling the truth regarding the brake discs being new but I'm not to sure this noise is quite right. I can also feel it badly under the brake pedal as well when it grinds. Has anyone had this on an Audi (or other car)?

It's the ABS.
You have a dirty sensor that gives a zero output before the other 3 so the ABS kicks-in to release the "locked wheel".
You can use VAGCOM to identify the low sensor or failing that try to clean each one. What works for me is to hit the hub near the sensor with a soft mallet to dislodge any muck. Do not hit the sensor or you will break it.

mluton
03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi all,

Just bought a 1996 A4 B5. Very pleased with it aside from 2 things...

This could also be glazing on the discs or pads. Had the discs skimmed on my MR2 and all was good.

I was told tht a few hard braking sessions can cure glazing, but i had no luck with that.

A4 TURBO
03-08-2007, 06:43 PM
I have had new front and rear disks and performace pads fitted to mycar and i had no sound at all.

79dougb
06-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi again,

Just noticed that when the grinding sound occurs, the voltage gauge drops for a split second to 10v from 15v?!?! I am convinced its a more serious problem than new brake discs.

sanstorm999
17-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Doug,
This may sound off the bat! However, I have had a recent battery problem and noticed in my search for a solution that often poor battery condition can cause strange and unrelated problems such as the one's you describe in your post.

I know it sounds crazy but people were reporting malfunctioning high drain/use electrical components that were suddenly and inexplicably cured when the battery was replaced etc.

Anyway just thought I would mention it!

Regards

Ant