PDA

View Full Version : 97 Polo 1.4 16v leaking coolant

peejay01
12-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I have just replaced the thermostat housing (the whole plastic assembly that all of the coolant pipes connect to) on my polo. I only wanted the cover where the thermostat goes but the motor factor sold me the whole assembly so I went and replaced the lot.

I am getting a leak where the housing attaches to the coolant pump supply pipe (running behind the engine block) when I start the engine. After joining the pipe to the assembly I slid the horseshoe clip in from underneath and thought everthing was okay but when I started the car there was a lot of coolant leaking from the join. :aargh4:

Does anybody know if there is a seal on this pipe that I may have dropped when taking the old housing off? Im worried that I might be missing something as I cant figure out why it is leaking. Is there a trick to reattaching this pipe? As it is the pipe is bare except for two notches in the side that look like they are there to accept the horeshoe clip.

Would really appreciate any help from anyone with experience of polo cooling systems!

Thanks,

peejay01

peejay01
13-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Adding image to try help clarify that first post:

This is a pic of the the housing. The highlighted are shows the notches where the horseshoeclip slides in after attachement to the pipe that runs from behind the engine block. The pipe from the engine block has two notches that line up with the ones on the housing.

Will try get a pic of the pipe to see if I might have broken a piece off ot what not.16683

zooankski
25-01-2014, 06:55 AM
I have this very same problem! is there supposed to be a seal of some kind??

peejay01
25-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi zooanski,

The problem I had was the horse shoe clip was catching a wire that was running alongside the coolant pipe running behind the engine block. It felt like it was clipped in but was leaking. I eventually pulled the battery out to take a look and realised it was catching a wire. See attached pics234502345123452.

Help this helps.

zooankski
26-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Sussex it, thanks. Intermediate pipe behind engine was not fully engaged. Only way to do it was fit that first before bolting housing on to the engine.

peejay01
27-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Good stuff. Glad you got sorted!

kaihannis
10-01-2015, 06:10 PM
I have this exact problem, but the other end of this black pipe, I've tried putting a rubber 'O' ring around it (didn't work) and silicon (didn't work). No sooner have I filled the tank, it's empty again. HELP