PDA

View Full Version : Mk5 GT TDi 170 Hesitation in power at low revs, diesel smoke

Custard
11-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I have a VW Golf GT Tdi mk5 170bhp 82000miles and there seems to be a slight hesitation (missfire) in power when going slow around town but if you go fast smooths out, also plooms of diesel smoke are exhausted at low revs, the faster you go the clearer it gets!!

What could be causing this? Ive thought about cleaning out the EGR valve, could it be an injector?? oh hope not, remember though car drives great above around 40mph

Thanks to all that reply

Aptuning
11-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Theres many things that it could be. The best thing would be to get the fault codes read and post your findings. I would certainly take a look at the EGR valve if your handy with a few tools. It doesn't hurt to have a look.

I have a VW Golf GT Tdi mk5 170bhp 82000miles and there seems to be a slight hesitation (missfire) in power when going slow around town but if you go fast smooths out, also plooms of diesel smoke are exhausted at low revs, the faster you go the clearer it gets!!

What could be causing this? Ive thought about cleaning out the EGR valve, could it be an injector?? oh hope not, remember though car drives great above around 40mph

Thanks to all that reply

Custard
11-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Theres no fault codes at all, were looking at the EGR valve tomorrow by taking it off and cleaning it! will keep you posted.

Custard
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Well weve cleaned the EGR valve it wasnt to bad but cleaned it anyway and fitted it back but still got same problem!! eerrr i just know its going to be an injector!!!!

chody
12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
your injectors should be covered under the currant recall on the passat as i am sure your car has the same injectors so call your dealer and get it checked they are replacing all injectors and loom free of charge

Aptuning
14-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Please do keep us posted on when and what gets the car fixed. Too many threads that never get finished to help others with similar problems.
It would be good if what Chody has said about the injectors being on recall!

Custard
15-05-2012, 07:55 PM
OK good news - VW Audi have found that the Intercooler was damaged and was sucking in air and had slight oil dripping out of it. This was replaced and has cured the fault! Happy days :-)

chody
15-05-2012, 07:58 PM
that is good news but did you ask about the injector recall as if you have the faulty injectord you might as well get them done at the same time

Custard
15-05-2012, 07:58 PM
My mate at VW has also had a word with the techies at VW and they've never seen this before, but replacing the damaged intercooler has certainly fixed the sypmtoms of hesitation in power around 2000rpm and plumes of smoke out the exhaust. VW should now be aware of this to check!!

Custard
15-05-2012, 08:00 PM
oooh no I didnt ask about the inj recall as I was to excited at the time lol like a kid getting new sweets lol, I will pop round to VW Audi again tomoz to ask!

Custard
15-05-2012, 08:02 PM
THe lad who I know who work at VW says my manufacture yr golf (late 58 plate Mk5) is not in the recall!!!

Aptuning
15-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Great new that the fault has been found. as already said, i would still ask about recall on injectors. If it don't cost you nothing then why not get it done.

Custard
15-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah but apparantly its not in the recall its a late 58 plate mk5 170bhp golf