PDA

View Full Version : Central Lock/Door Latch + Radio Help

cjk6290
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Just a couple of quick questions from an Audi noob here. First of all, I noticed today that sometimes when I unlock the car, the passenger door unlocks as normal but won't open from the outside. A couple of pulls of the handle from the inside seems to do the trick. I'm a current honda tech and need to do my window reg on that side anyway so I've got no problems stripping it and having a nosey, just wondering if anyone's seen or had this problem before? Might be obvious when I have it stripped!

Second question is about the radio. I miss my iPod too much and have an iPod ready aftermarket headunit to put in the car but I have heard conflicting opinions to do with replacing the headunit. Some people say it'll go straight in with an adapter lead and others say it needs to be modified due to the way the Bose system works. Has anyone changed theirs and can shed some light on the situation? If its alot of hassle then can anyone recommend a good iPod connector which is compatible?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Craig.

NHN
12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
What year 8P is it?

I suspect the bar from the exterior handle needs just adjusting to the lock, its just a simple metal bar pushed into a metal or plastic latch, given it opens with a few lifts seems to suggest that is the issue, just down a notch should fix.

Radio, well there are adapters to make work, but a nice option is the rns-e, but depends on budget & what you want out of it.

cjk6290
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
It's a 2004. I suspected there would be some adjustment in the cable or something, definitely just feels like it need adjusted. RNS-e? Not familiar with that haha as I say I'm new to Audi, had Hondas all my life as I work for them so it was just handy. Just need something that'll play and charge my iPhone. Not really worried about the price if it's a good bit of kit.

NHN
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Its not a cable mate, its a bar for the exterior handle, interior is a cable.

RNS-E is the double din head unit with nav, radio, telephone possibilities with additional hardware, the mk2 unit with ami is very good, but all these are expensive, but once fitted, never look back :) everyone I have fitted for has loved it.

cjk6290
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Ahh right, cheers, I'll have a look when I'm doing my regulator.

I'll have a look into RNS-e then. Do you if they're all compatible or will I need to be on the lookout for a certain one? Easy enough to fit or better left to someone with experience of doing them?

Thanks alot for the help!

alankru
13-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Some people say it'll go straight in with an adapter lead and others say it needs to be modified due to the way the Bose system works.
Having spoken to a few professionals, I believe you are right about this. I don't know about your particular setup, but it is complicated by the Bose amplifier that powers the rear speakers and subwoofer.

In the end, I decided that it was best for me to go with an adapter for the iphone/USB rather than a new headunit. These emulate a multi-cd changer and plug into the back of your existing Audi headunit. I tried an xcarlink adapter for USB/SDCard and the sound quality was very poor via USB/SDcard. xcarlink do ipod adapters as well which may very well work better. In the end, I paid more for a Dension Gateway lite and it is easier to install as the leads are separate to the unit. There are various Dension units available if you have DIS etc. so it is worth researching.
I've written some more info in this thread: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?125321-Aux-in-for-A3-already-equipped-with-Symphony-6CD-head-unit&p=674493#post674493
and this thread is also very helpful:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?118206-glovebox-removal as it also links to the "how to" article.