PDA

View Full Version : K&N Panel Air Filter

rabmurray9121
11-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I have the 2.5 V6 TDI Avant, 3 days ago i upgraded to a K&N air filter after only 3 mile the exhaust emmisions light came on. I thought that maybe on changing the filter i hadnt sealed it back up right i even disconnected the electrics by the mass air flow meter (this was not the case). On start up the light was off again happy days, after doing another 3 mile the light was back on. Yersterday i went out a bought a Audi replacement filter and fitted that back to the car since then i have covered 20 mile without the light coming on. Do you have to do anything to the car before fitting a K&N panel filter, or is it just a straight swap panel filter for panel filter if that is the case why is the exhaust emmission light coming on when the K&N filter is fitted.

Thank you

cctuning
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
There is no reason why the light should come on, the best thing to do is scan it to see what the fault is.

A4 Lad
11-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Agree with the above statement. You could have no air filter in and the MIL shouldnt come on.

rabmurray9121
11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
The light has come back on this morning, if you diconnect the electrical cable at the mass air flow meter then the light goes out. It is going into Audi on Wed to be scanned i have only just got it back from Audi where it had the cambelt changed, waterpump, all idler gears, annual service & inspection at a cost of 1500 Euros. I have only covered 200 miles since all that work was carried out. The car has done 72 000 miles in total. I will let you know what Audi say after Wed.

spartacus 68
11-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Did you soak the K&N? Heard of similar problems if the filter has been saturated with the spray oil.

rabmurray9121
11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
That a very good point, the filter was already saturated with oil. Tonight when i stripped out the air trunking after the filter it had some oil in the trunking, do you think that the mass air flow meter require cleaning then? If that is the case what is the best way to clean the mass air flow meter and the filter to get rid of the excess oil.

rabmurray9121
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Today i removed the mass air flow meter and cleaned it, i left the paper air filter in to0 carry out a test run. Just came back from a mixed motorway, town drive for 25 miles and the light never came on so fingers crossed the problem might be fixed. I am going to leave the paper air filter in for a few days to see if the problem has been solved before switching back to the K&N filter. Thank you spartacus 68 for pointing in hopefully the right direction, i will confirm this is a few days time.

spartacus 68
12-05-2012, 10:58 PM
No problem. When cleaning the K&N filter - use the special detergent, leave for 15 minutes then rinse with fresh warm water. Once it's thoroughly dry (best left propped up outside on a bright sunny day), then to oil it, it only needs 2-3 passes with the oil. Again, I never fit straight away. Attend to some other servicing jobs first. Don't leave it on the ground where it will gather dust, etc.

Regards the MAF filter, tricky one. Can be cleaned with carb cleaner, alchohol, etc. Lots of advice on various forums, however I've never done it - so can't recommend one way or the other. What i would say is don't touch the wire sensor, spray on, leave it and let it air dry. Clean air filter housing, etc, just in case there's oil residue.

rabmurray9121
16-05-2012, 07:40 AM
The light is back on this morning so it of to Audi this afternoon. I have changed the filter and cleaned the mass air flow meter, lets see what Audi find wrong with the car.

JON35Y
16-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Just fitted one to my B7 with no problems?!

rabmurray9121
16-05-2012, 11:17 AM
To be honest with you now i dont think that the fault is with the K&N air filter. It was just that it happened on the same day as fitting the air filter.

rabmurray9121
16-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Just got back from Audi where the light was on all the way, Booked the car inh started it up to drive into the garage and the light had gone back out. The car was scanned and i have the following fault code 18062 P1654 (Coolant Temp Sensor) was stored on the ECU. Fault was removed by the Audi garage so we will wait and see if it comes back on. Tomorrow i will refit the K&N air filter. Also got a quote for new rear brake disc & pads of 205 Euros, does anybody have EKTA so that i could get the part numbers.

pauldazzle
17-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Replace the CTS with a genuine VAG part as it is probably the most common failure on VAG cars. Pagid discs & pads are OEM spec & really good.

rabmurray9121
26-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Update:

After driving the car for over a week now the engine light has not came back on. All i have done is had the CTS fault code deleted from the ECU and refitted the K&N air filter without disconnecting the MAF meter all is well and i hope it stays that way.