PDA

View Full Version : Automatic gear select display all red but does not appear to be in limp mode

w34ver
11-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Evening all,

Today I picked up my first VW! It's an '05 Passat Highline Auto Tip 130.

The car drives as I would expect and does not appear to be in any form of "Limp Home" mode. However, I noticed that the automatic gear selection indicator (PRN432) is all lit up in red.

I intend to get in touch with the dealer and have it looked at under warranty (After not even one day!), but I was just wondering whether you guys had any thoughts on the following:

1) Is this an indicator that the transmission has been in limp home mode in the recent past and has stored the fault code? The car has just had it's MOT. When I took the car for a test drive before the MOT, there were no issues.

2) Can I clear whatever code / state is causing the red transmission display (PRN432) and have it display normally myself? I do not have a code reader as I literally picked the car up today. I have read a little about an 'ECU reset' of some sort but am I correct in thinking that this has no relevance to fault codes and is only for resettling driving style data?

I did just go out and check the carpet under the mat on the passenger side and there does appear to be damp under there. Not a good sign I know...

However, as I said, I have noticed no issues at all in the performance of the transmission whilst driving the car today.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks,
Sam

djah
11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi there
I just had a quick look on the vwvortex automatic section but couldn't find anything similar to what you describe.

Here is the website if you want to have a closer look for yourself
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?574-Automatic-Transmission-Forum

Good luck.

w34ver
11-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for that. I had taken a quick look there prior to my post.

UPDATE

This morning I took it to the mechanic that works on my cars for a code read. Result: Voltage too low. There was just the one single fault code for the transmission. There were no other codes stored at all. Had him clear the code and it then came back immediately.

Will do a little digging and see what I can find out. Going to have a chat with mechanic tomorrow to get his thoughts on the issue.

Car still drives fine - Auto transmission is not in "Limp Home" mode but the PRND234 lights are still all lit up in block red.

Also checked out the warrany documentation and work is not covered if caused by water ingress. If this is a case of the pollen filter housing leaking resulting in moisture in passenger footwell and causing issue with the TCM it'll be coming out of my pocket! Another guarantee not worth the paper it's written on.

Still have hope that it's nothing serious as the car is, so far, driving correctly. This suggests to me that the TCM is not written off so perhaps only minor reconditioning will be required. Please feel free to correct my thinking on this if you know better!

Cylon2007
11-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I would take it straight back to the dealer you bought it from and quite simply tell them to fix it, the fault manifested itself on the day of collection this is not acceptable.

w34ver
11-05-2012, 07:36 PM
To be honest I think I'll have a decent shot with that one as the issue was in place from collection. I know first hand how awkward dealers can get on the terms for this sort of thing so preparing for the worst but I don't think they have a leg to stand on really.

Will keep the thread updated with any progress.