PDA

View Full Version : Electro Mechanical Handbrake & Hold Assist

skibuddy
10-05-2012, 03:19 PM
My first experiences of Electro Mechanical Handbrake with Automatic Hold Assist hasn't been great. 25 miles on the clock and tried to do a hill start in reverse in a parking space only to find myself rolling forwards towards a brick wall. OMG. How do you do a hill start, forwards or backwards, without rolling using a manual gear box? The handbrake is releasing automatically without there being enough forwards traction to stop the car from rolling backwards. It seems that if you lift the clutch slightly, or press the accelerator, the handbrake releases. One thing I have discovered, if you don't put your seat belt on, then the handbrake wont release and allow you to pull away. A real pain when you only want to move the car six feet on the driveway.

MFGF
10-05-2012, 03:27 PM
My first experiences of Electro Mechanical Handbrake with Automatic Hold Assist hasn't been great. 25 miles on the clock and tried to do a hill start in reverse in a parking space only to find myself rolling forwards towards a brick wall. OMG. How do you do a hill start, forwards or backwards, without rolling using a manual gear box? The handbrake is releasing automatically without there being enough forwards traction to stop the car from rolling backwards. It seems that if you lift the clutch slightly, or press the accelerator, the handbrake releases. One thing I have discovered, if you don't put your seat belt on, then the handbrake wont release and allow you to pull away. A real pain when you only want to move the car six feet on the driveway.

You just have to be a bit more assertive in letting the clutch up. If you let it out very slowly, the brake can release before the clutch gets to the biting point. I learned this quite early on with my C6 in 2005! :)

MF.

rizday
10-05-2012, 09:59 PM
It definitely seems to be less effective than my C6 was. My drive points down hill and reversing up the hill in the morning now seems to be much harder in my C7. More tendency to roll back now for sure.

skibuddy
10-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I was given a C6 once while my previous A4 was in for repair. As I remember it you had to let the clutch bite quite hard before the handbrake released. Obviously I was somewhat surprised when it released so easily on the C7. When I get a bit more used to the clutch biting point I will be a little more aggressive. Still, it is very disconcerting having the car role backwards slight. What was wrong with a manual handbrake. It suited me just fine for 25 years.

robbyg
11-05-2012, 07:41 PM
i have never driven a manual a6 but experience from other electric hand brake cars i do drive (volvo, various vauxhalls and renaults hired for work) they need two inputs to make the handbrake come off. 1 input is clutch movement, the other is accelerator movement.
I find if you bring the clutch up to a good bite feeling the car try to move (its a diesel it wont stall easily) and only then blip the throttle then it always works well.

Another point, reverse is usually a higher gear than first. So reversing uphill on your cold clutch and engine is always going to be had work and cause wear to the car. Surely reversing your warm engine onto the drive and driving off forwards would be both easier and less wearing on the car (an also follow highway code advice not to reverse onto the road). I may have got the wrong end of your description here though?

nealeb
11-05-2012, 09:50 PM
One thing I have discovered, if you don't put your seat belt on, then the handbrake wont release and allow you to pull away. A real pain when you only want to move the car six feet on the driveway.

...but you can (generally) release the parking brake by pressing the button. Doesn't always seem to release in my C7, but that might just be a combination of slope/cold engine sometimes.

I have found that for manoeuvring (e.g. into a parking space or positioning and then reversing on to drive) turning off hill-assist helps a lot. Otherwise the revs needed to get the brake to release mean that you tend to lurch rather than move gently. That's with an auto, which introduces its own idiosyncrasies into the brake/gear/throttle combination.

Timothy Nathan
11-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I find keeping the speed controlled in reverse very difficult in the Multitronic, even with hill assist off.

Blackmore Spur
12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
4k miles later and very happy using it on my 2.0 TDI. Bit nervous to begin with, trusting it not to slip back on very steep hill in heavy stop-start traffic. Use it all time now and love the way it reisbly doesn't release until I hit exact biting point, pulling away with no creep back. Only time I did experience slight creep back was when I was listening too intently to radio and let revs drop too low... Think secret is to keep revs up

skibuddy
14-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Keeping revs up and being more aggressive with the clutch is better, but Hold Assist still releases as soon as the clutch peddle starts to rise. Wonder if there is some form of adjustment for this? Also discovered that keeping the Hand Brake switch pulled up allows you to control when the handbrake gets released. Handbrake stays on until you release the switch. Recall reading this in the manual at some point. Defeats the point of hold assist in my view doing a hill start in this way.

nealeb
14-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a bit of dealer attention is needed. My C7 is an auto so it's all a little bit different but this worked fine on my C6 with none of the problems that you mention. It would occasionally be reluctant to release, usually because the big diesel would happily pull away gently with no throttle input, but never released too soon.

I would have thought that this is a warranty job, and one that should be done fairly quickly as you could reasonably claim that this is a safety issue.

rickerby
20-06-2012, 12:19 AM

I have had my new A6 for all of 24 hours and covered a grand total of 55 miles in it, but found the electro-mechanical hand brake and hill hold no problems at all. They are already second nature and seem very intuitive to use

skibuddy
20-06-2012, 07:36 AM
I have had my new A6 for all of 24 hours and covered a grand total of 55 miles in it, but found the electro-mechanical hand brake and hill hold no problems at all. They are already second nature and seem very intuitive to use

Manual or Automatic? If manual, when does it release from Hold Assist. On mine it is as soon as the clutch pedal is raised, despite there not being enough clutch bite to stop the car from rolling backwards. I have been given a load of bovine manure from my dealer about Hold Assist only being meant to stop the car from rolling when stationary at traffic lights etc. If stopped on a slope then you should apply the handbrake.

rickerby
21-06-2012, 02:56 PM
My car is a manual. It seems to release just as the car is ready to move forward. Not experienced any premature release/rolling backwards. Mind you, my last car was a Mercedes with a foot operated handbrake. After that anything will seem good!

Matt482
21-06-2012, 02:59 PM
My car is a manual. It seems to release just as the car is ready to move forward. Not experienced any premature release/rolling backwards. Mind you, my last car was a Mercedes with a foot operated handbrake. After that anything will seem good!

I'm sorry the child in me cant help smiling when i read 'premature release

johnsimcox
21-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Manual or Automatic? If manual, when does it release from Hold Assist. On mine it is as soon as the clutch pedal is raised, despite there not being enough clutch bite to stop the car from rolling backwards. I have been given a load of bovine manure from my dealer about Hold Assist only being meant to stop the car from rolling when stationary at traffic lights etc. If stopped on a slope then you should apply the handbrake.

Been playing with this since first reading the thread. I have a manual 2.0TDi Avant. The hand brake works in exactly the same way as it did on my previous C6, but with much less mechanical noise. The handbrake requires the dual input of both the clutch and accelerator to release it. I think the hill assist works differently. As far as I can tell it is actually holding the pressure in the brake system from the footbrake and hence why it needs a certain amount of brake pressure to operate. If you stop very slowly with the hill assist activated it does not engage (no green light on dash), however if when stationary you then apply a little more brake pressure it will then engage. Likewise if you have stopped the car and the hill assist has engaged and then either switch the engine off (button not stop start) or apply the hand brake you can feel the systems swap over. The hill assist seems to simply release when it sense the car is moving and that can be either with the accelerator depressed or simply bring the clutch up and using the idling revs.

MFGF
21-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Exactly my experience too. I think you have nailed it, John!

MF.

Hawthorn37
23-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Like MFGB says, you need to allow the clutch to come up a bit smarter, and then control the movement on accel/ clutch. I've Had auto A6s but last week the dealer loaned me a manual A3 cab whilst the A6 was having the front door inner seals remedied. I had the same issue as you on the A3 - quite a trick in a car you're not used to, and as I rairly drive stick shifts. By the second day I had just about mastered it.

MFGF
23-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Like MFGB says...

Ah! MFGB! Zis is my Breeteesh doppleganger, no? :)

MF.

Timothy Nathan
23-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Just be thankful it wasn't the more correct MFUK.

Guest 2
23-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Didnt you get MGTF before too Mark? ;)

MFGF
23-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Just be thankful it wasn't the more correct MFUK.

:D :D :D

That's priceless!! I will be laughing about that for hours! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MFGF
23-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Didnt you get MGTF before too Mark? ;)

I generally respond to any approximate concoction of initials :) Some are really funny!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hawthorn37
23-06-2012, 11:30 PM

MF.

Whoops! Dislexic iPad, sorry

skibuddy
24-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Like MFGB says, you need to allow the clutch to come up a bit smarter, and then control the movement on accel/ clutch. I've Had auto A6s but last week the dealer loaned me a manual A3 cab whilst the A6 was having the front door inner seals remedied. I had the same issue as you on the A3 - quite a trick in a car you're not used to, and as I rairly drive stick shifts. By the second day I had just about mastered it.

Thanks for the response. From the comments on this thread it at least seems that there isn't a fault on my vehicle and I just need to adapt. Have to admit I have got used to it now and letting the clutch up a bit sharper does the job.

MFGF
25-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Whoops! Dislexic iPad, sorry

It made me laugh -hope you didn't mind my silly comment :)

Timothy Nathan
25-06-2012, 02:23 PM
What does the GF stand for anyway...Good Fellah? Grand Father? Greater Fool?

dragonii
25-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone care to explain how the automatic parking brake at standstill works in conjunction with Star/Stop? Thanks.

Timothy Nathan
25-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone care to explain how the automatic parking brake at standstill works in conjunction with Star/Stop? Thanks.
Auto or manual? It appears to make a substantial difference.

dragonii
25-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, sorry, auto.

Timothy Nathan
25-06-2012, 05:11 PM
On the Auto it's straightforward.

The normal handbrake will auto release when you put pressure on the accelerator, provided you have the seatbelt on.

The "Hill-assist" always defaults to off, so needs to be engaged every journey. It automatically applies the parking brake when you stop, and it prevents creep. When you press the accelerator, the brake releases automatically. As others have mentioned, this gives a very slight lurch, like overcoming friction, which can be annoying when doing tight manoeuvring and it is wise to release the control before you do so. You can then use the creep, as you normally would in an automatic.

Stop start usually (but not always) stops the engine when you stop the car with a reasonable amount of brake pressure. That brake pressure can be applied some time after you stop, if you wish; I consciously decide whether I think the stop will be long enough to justify the engine stopping, and will press the brake a little harder if I want to stop the engine.

One advantage of the hill assist is that, if you don't want to stop the engine, you can take your foot off the brake without risk of stopping the engine and without the car creeping or slipping back.

But the bigger advantage is that if you are on an up going slope, and you switch the engine off with brake pedal pressure, there will be a moment when you have no engine to hold station or creep, and no brake to stop you slipping back. Hill assist rides to the rescue by holding the car until you accelerate enough to move forward.

Is that the explanation you wanted?

MFGF
25-06-2012, 09:07 PM
What does the GF stand for anyway...Good Fellah? Grand Father? Greater Fool?

Oh, definitely the latter!! :) Someone who is about to move out suggests it might also stand for "Grumpy F....r" :)

Also, one (somewhat less refined) soul on these forums has suggested that my complete set of initials is a rude moniker for a gentleman's unmarried female companion (sigh - you just knew there would be someone who would lower the tone) :)

If you're hyper-observant and have pored over my photos thread a few weeks ago, you might realise that the pertinent question should actually be "What does the FG stand for?" :)

MF.

dragonii
26-06-2012, 01:21 PM
On the Auto it's straightforward.

The normal handbrake will auto release when you put pressure on the accelerator, provided you have the seatbelt on.

The "Hill-assist" always defaults to off, so needs to be engaged every journey. It automatically applies the parking brake when you stop, and it prevents creep. When you press the accelerator, the brake releases automatically. As others have mentioned, this gives a very slight lurch, like overcoming friction, which can be annoying when doing tight manoeuvring and it is wise to release the control before you do so. You can then use the creep, as you normally would in an automatic.

Stop start usually (but not always) stops the engine when you stop the car with a reasonable amount of brake pressure. That brake pressure can be applied some time after you stop, if you wish; I consciously decide whether I think the stop will be long enough to justify the engine stopping, and will press the brake a little harder if I want to stop the engine.

One advantage of the hill assist is that, if you don't want to stop the engine, you can take your foot off the brake without risk of stopping the engine and without the car creeping or slipping back.

But the bigger advantage is that if you are on an up going slope, and you switch the engine off with brake pedal pressure, there will be a moment when you have no engine to hold station or creep, and no brake to stop you slipping back. Hill assist rides to the rescue by holding the car until you accelerate enough to move forward.

Is that the explanation you wanted?

Thanks for the extended explanation.

I think I've already found my answer in some German Audi forums. Basically, what I want is to remove my foot of the brake at stand ill, in every situation (hill or no hill). My understanding is that automatic handbrake function or hold assist one will do that for you. However, it is also my understanding, from users feedback, that, if you have S/S active, then once you remove the foot off the brake pedal, the engine will turn itself on.

In a BMW, for example, the two work in conjunction and it is the pressure on the accelerator pedal that triggers the ignition on and not the removal of the foot off the brake pedal, allowing the driver to have a car with ignition off and safely "parked". Also, in Mercedes case, it seems that it follows the BMW one.

However, in Audi case, according to the forum users, the implementation is wrong and everyone concerned by the issue is trying to find a way to disable S/S permanently through VCDS.

Timothy Nathan
26-06-2012, 04:01 PM
the implementation is wrong and everyone concerned by the issue is trying to find a way to disable S/S permanently through VCDS.
I think that the implementation is pretty good, but I haven't tried the BM. When I drove the Merc E in a test drive it had a foot operated parking brake and it was horrible.

rizday
26-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm really unhappy with my auto - way worse that my C6 so I've booked my car in to the dealers to look over. It just feels dangerous.

Guest 2
26-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm really unhappy with my auto - way worse that my C6 so I've booked my car in to the dealers to look over. It just feels dangerous.

In what way?

rizday
26-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Reversing up a small hill the car is prone to rolling back when you lift your foot from the gas in a way my C6 and indeed any other auto I've owned has never done. I've found it's necessary to hold the car with your left foot on the brake to have any confidence. I've never had to do this in the past.

Guest 2
26-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Was your C6 fwd or quattro and what is your C7?

rizday
26-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Both fwd - essentially I've gone from an auto C6 SE Avant 1.9 to an auto C7 S-Line Avant 1.9.

Guest 2
26-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Both were 2.0 TDi's actually ;)

The 1.9 only came in the <C5 :D

So both CVT - are you sure you're not driving them any differently?

rizday
26-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the schooling ;)

Yes I'm sure I'm driving them the same. All other automatic cars I've had have been fine. The C7 not. Behaves differently and it looks like others on this thread are having similar issues so I guess I'm not alone!

Guest 2
26-06-2012, 05:30 PM
No problemo ;) Don't want you getting embarrassed going into Audi and saying theres a problem with my 1.9 C7 ;)

Speak to Audi and drive another CVT (non quattro) car and see if it performs the same and if it does, then you know its meant to be like that.

26-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I have noticed this on mine.

I have owned auto boxes before, but not an Audi CVT.

My driveway has a slight slope up to the road. If I reverse up the slope, but let off the throttle, the car will roll forward a little, then stop. There seems to be very little creep in reverse, almost as if the clutch isn't biting early enough.

If you speak to the dealer, please let me know what they say.

rizday
26-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks Chris - always good to attempt to look credible!

Will do 5678 - my last car and loaners have been cvt so I don't think it's that. Let's see what the dealer says.

Timothy Nathan
26-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I have said before that I feel rather out of control in reverse on the Multitronic.

johnsimcox
27-06-2012, 01:11 PM
My understanding is that automatic handbrake function or hold assist one will do that for you. However, it is also my understanding, from users feedback, that, if you have S/S active, then once you remove the foot off the brake pedal, the engine will turn itself on.

Unless you put the gear selector in Park in which case the engine will stay off until you reselect R or D. Slow, gentle brake application will also cause the S/S not to activate

Timothy Nathan
27-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Unless you put the gear selector in Park in which case the engine will stay off until you reselect R or D. Slow, gentle brake application will also cause the S/S not to activate
This is interesting. I had missed this in the instruction. It worked once for me, then not again. Now it restarts as soon as I take my foot off the brake, even in P.

johnsimcox
27-06-2012, 11:40 PM
This is interesting. I had missed this in the instruction. It worked once for me, then not again. Now it restarts as soon as I take my foot off the brake, even in P.

I just lifted what I said from the handbook as I have a manual not auto. If it is not behaving as described there then suggest it goes back to the dealer to sort it as something must be wrong (or the handbook is!!). If Epsom Audi are as good as their sister company in Walton then they will sort it out (I have been a customer of theirs for over 15 years now and they are one of the reasons I have stuck with Audi over that period)

skibuddy
28-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Is it just me, but why should something that is a relatively simple concept be so confusing?

timdownieuk
14-10-2012, 04:22 PM

I thought it might interest folk to know that a friend of mine successfully rejected his 3 month old A6 because the handbrake would not function as either the handbook said or as Audi UK stated it ought to function. Namely, it was releasing the handbrake as soon as he started to lift the clutch and NOT waiting for the clutch to engage.

This problem seems to be common to manual gearbox A6 cars (his was a 2.0 170bhp diesel estate). His previous A6 had an electromechanical handbrake that always released appropriately so it's not as if Audi don't know how to make one.

In his view (and in the view of a ROSPA examiner) this was a dangerous fault. The garage only wanted to give him trade-in value but he held for (and got) purchase price minus reasonable wear & tear deduction, not depreciation.

rickerby
14-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought it might interest folk to know that a friend of mine successfully rejected his 3 month old A6 because the handbrake would not function as either the handbook said or as Audi UK stated it ought to function. Namely, it was releasing the handbrake as soon as he started to lift the clutch and NOT waiting for the clutch to engage.

This problem seems to be common to manual gearbox A6 cars (his was a 2.0 170bhp diesel estate). His previous A6 had an electromechanical handbrake that always released appropriately so it's not as if Audi don't know how to make one.

In his view (and in the view of a ROSPA examiner) this was a dangerous fault. The garage only wanted to give him trade-in value but he held for (and got) purchase price minus reasonable wear & tear deduction, not depreciation.

Amazed by all this. The electromechanical handbrake and hill hold are two of the features on my C7 manual that I really appreciate. They do exactly what it says on the tin and work flawlessly. Infinately better than yanking a lever against a ratchet or growing an extra leg to use a Merc style foot operated handbrake.

timdownieuk
14-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Amazed by all this. The electromechanical handbrake and hill hold are two of the features on my C7 manual that I really appreciate. They do exactly what it says on the tin and work flawlessly. Infinately better than yanking a lever against a ratchet or growing an extra leg to use a Merc style foot operated handbrake.

Well if it had worked as described (and as it did on his last A6), it wouldn't have been an issue. A system that releases the brake before the clutch engages is madness though. It yours an auto?

belly buster
14-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Well if it had worked as described (and as it did on his last A6), it wouldn't have been an issue. A system that releases the brake before the clutch engages is madness though. It yours an auto?

Very poor that Audi couldn't fix this. I think I would reject the car as well. It's one thing if it is releasing to late (as you can always release it manually) but too early is dangerous.

timdownieuk
14-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Very poor that Audi couldn't fix this. I think I would reject the car as well. It's one thing if it is releasing to late (as you can always release it manually) but too early is dangerous.

Indeed. They refused to acknowledge that this *wasn't* how it was meant to work while at the same time admitting that it wasn't supposed to release until the clutch engaged. Having painted themselves into a corner (and failing to *fix* the car) they had to take the car back.

Sadly, it required the threat of legal action before they did so.

tim

rickerby
18-10-2012, 09:11 PM

My car is a manual. The handbrake release seems to blend perfectly with clutch take up. I have never felt "out of control" or had the car roll backwards. Other C7s I have driven have been the same, so still struggling to understand why it is such an issue.

timdownieuk
18-10-2012, 09:38 PM
My car is a manual. The handbrake release seems to blend perfectly with clutch take up. I have never felt "out of control" or had the car roll backwards. Other C7s I have driven have been the same, so still struggling to understand why it is such an issue.

For reasons known to some Audi garages alone, they seem incapable of understanding when the system is working properly and when it isn't. It should be straightforward getting it fixed but that's not possible if they can't be made to understand the problem.

skibuddy
19-10-2012, 09:11 PM
6500 miles on the clock and I have learned to live with it. The Hold Assist is reassuring when coming to a stop and slipping into neutral so that stop start kicks in. Slightest lift of the clutch when in gear, or pressing the accelerator, causes Hold Assist to release. This is fine on the flat or shallow inclines whereby the clutch bite point can be reached before the car roles. If the incline is any steeper then I engage the Handbrake. This holds the car until there is enough forward momentum to release and pull away without rolling backwards. In summary, it appears Hold Assist isn't a replacement for using the Handbrake as well.

timdownieuk
19-10-2012, 11:20 PM
6500 miles on the clock and I have learned to live with it. The Hold Assist is reassuring when coming to a stop and slipping into neutral so that stop start kicks in. Slightest lift of the clutch when in gear, or pressing the accelerator, causes Hold Assist to release. This is fine on the flat or shallow inclines whereby the clutch bite point can be reached before the car roles. If the incline is any steeper then I engage the Handbrake. This holds the car until there is enough forward momentum to release and pull away without rolling backwards. In summary, it appears Hold Assist isn't a replacement for using the Handbrake as well.

But it's faulty. The manual (and Audi) state that it should only release as the clutch engages. You *can* reject the car.

johnsimcox
20-10-2012, 01:06 PM
But it's faulty. The manual (and Audi) state that it should only release as the clutch engages. You *can* reject the car.
I think you need to define what is termed "clutch engages", is it when the two plates start to detect friction or is it when the car actually begins to move. The Audi system seems to work on the former definition and is probably wise to do that other wise the car would lurch forward (possibly in an uncontrolled manner) as the brake is released and power suddenly reaches the wheels. The problem for some people (drivers and dealers) is determining when the system actually is releasing. The only issue would be if you start to raise the clutch, the system disengages and you then press the clutch again not realising the system has disengaged. I had a manual C6 (no hill hold) and now manual C7 (with hill hold) and have had no problems with the use of the systems on either car. In fact the only change I would like to see is that the hill hold assist default was On and you had to disable it, rather than the other way round.

Skibuddy, if the system is disengaging with just the accelerator (on a manual car) then it is indeed faulty as it should be operating on the clutch.

timdownieuk
20-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I think you need to define what is termed "clutch engages", is it when the two plates start to detect friction or is it when the car actually begins to move. The Audi system seems to work on the former definition and is probably wise to do that other wise the car would lurch forward (possibly in an uncontrolled manner) as the brake is released and power suddenly reaches the wheels. The problem for some people (drivers and dealers) is determining when the system actually is releasing. The only issue would be if you start to raise the clutch, the system disengages and you then press the clutch again not realising the system has disengaged. I had a manual C6 (no hill hold) and now manual C7 (with hill hold) and have had no problems with the use of the systems on either car. In fact the only change I would like to see is that the hill hold assist default was On and you had to disable it, rather than the other way round.

Skibuddy, if the system is disengaging with just the accelerator (on a manual car) then it is indeed faulty as it should be operating on the clutch.

I think the only important definition (of function) is "Does it let the car roll back?". If it does, it's faulty.

braytac
20-10-2012, 07:19 PM
My A6 is Auto so can't offer much on that side, works perfectly though would also prefer it was defaulted on like my previous car. However my previous car, Passat CC, was manual with hill hold, pretty sure you had to lift the clutch and use some acceleration before it would release. Lifting the clutch or accelerator on their own would not release it. surprised it wouldn't be the same in the Audi really and I never felt that it would roll back. Loved it so much I don't think I would ever buy a new car without it now :)

prasadm
22-10-2012, 06:02 AM
My A6 is Auto so can't offer much on that side, works perfectly though would also prefer it was defaulted on like my previous car. However my previous car, Passat CC, was manual with hill hold, pretty sure you had to lift the clutch and use some acceleration before it would release. Lifting the clutch or accelerator on their own would not release it. surprised it wouldn't be the same in the Audi really and I never felt that it would roll back. Loved it so much I don't think I would ever buy a new car without it now :)
My previous A4 also had this and itworked very well. The C7 rolls back and I have a manual. Booked in for tomorrow, to get it checked.... I thought the issue was to do with my driving or i was using it wrongly...It never occured to me that it could be faulty...

skibuddy
22-10-2012, 07:32 AM
My previous A4 also had this and itworked very well. The C7 rolls back and I have a manual. Booked in for tomorrow, to get it checked.... I thought the issue was to do with my driving or i was using it wrongly...It never occured to me that it could be faulty...

Please post an update, obviously very keen to know how you get on before I book mine in.

prasadm
25-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Please post an update, obviously very keen to know how you get on before I book mine in.
Dealer had a look at it, they said they could not find anything wrong.. I could show it to the technicians, although probably twice when we tried this four times.. They will however take up with Audi UK.. I just have to learn to be bit more careful, I think...And of course it seems hill hold is not a replacement for handbrake although it probably worked like that in the A4...