PDA

View Full Version : iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix

a8 tech
08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Telephone Selecting the telephone mode some tips and also how it works and how it can be best used for individuals

The car phone can be switched to various modes at Telephone -> Settings -> Telephone mode

Automatic

Telephony optimised

Data services optimised

Various settings are required/recommended for each customer usage profile.

Telephone Selecting the telephone mode

Automatic

Fast data connection in the UMTS (3G) network is available in the vehicle

Data and speech can be transferred at the same time

Depending on availability, the telephone module switches automatically between UMTS and GSM networks

Duringa telephone conversation, the network can be switched from 3G to 2G; this cannot be reversed

Audio problems when switching from 3G to 2G are to be expected

In the worst case, the danger is the conversation breaking up sporadically during the journey when switching from UMTS to the GSM network

In GSM mode, the data rate is reduced and Wi-Fi is deactivated to ensure telephone calls can be received. During a conversation, Google Earth accesses the buffered data in GSM mode.

Telephony optimised

The telephone module only uses GSM (2G) networks

Data services at lower speeds are available

Data services are not available during a telephone call

Telephony quality corresponds to the quality in D3 Recommended for users who prioritise availability of voice telephony

Data services optimised

Same as "Automatic"

WLAN Hotspot (iPad) also available for GSM reception in all networks (with "Automatic", only in the T-Mobile network due to particular configuration of T-Mobile networks)Recommended for users who prioritise fast data connection

iphone fix 2012 >

Infotainment system MY12 improvements

New address book function for iPhone with BTA in MMI3G+

New functionality:

Customer has an iPhone and a couple of "Multi-SIM" cards.

One SIM card is in the iPhone, second SIM card is in the MMI SIM card reader

iPhone connected to MMI via Bluetooth.

Result:

SIM card in card reader allows reception via roof aerial and online services

Bluetooth connection to the iPhone allows access to the iPhone Phonebook

Operation:
The following operating steps are required to be able to use these functions:

The first SIM card is already inserted in the MMI card reader

The second SIM card is in the HFP-enabled mobile telephone

Start Bluetooth device search from MMI

The device found is offered only with the Audioplayer or Address book profiles

Select the (Address book) option

New address book function for iPhone with BTA in MMI3G+

Compatibility:The function is not restricted to the iPhone. It can be used on all mobile telephones that support the Phone book download; see database for mobile devices.http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/bluetooth.html

Application options:The first SIM card can also be inserted in a SAP mobile telephone or a handset.The following variants are possible:

SIM in card reader +HFP mobile telephone in address book profile

SIM in handset +HFP mobile telephone in address book profile

SIM in SAP mobile telephone +HFP mobile telephone in address book profile In addition, one of the mobile telephones can be connected in the Audioplayer profile, if supported bythe mobile telephone.

New adapter cable for the iPod/iPhone:A new adapter cable with integrated Apple chip is required for the new Audi Music Interface functions to work. Part number: 4F0 051 510 R
Infotainment system MY12 improvementsNew functions for the Audi Music Interface MMI3G+ and RMC

Supported devices:The following Apple devices support the new functions:

iPod Nano 5G with FW 1.0.2 or higher

iPod Touch 1G with FW 3.0.0 or higher

iPod Touch 2G with FW 3.0.0 or higher

iPod Touch 3G with FW 3.0.0 or higher

iPhone 1G with FW 3.0.0 or higher

iPhone 3G with FW 3.0.0 or higher

iPhone 3GS with FW 3.0.0 or higher

iPhone 4G with FW 3.0.0 or higher

audi phone software updates http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/bluetooth.html#source=http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/bluetooth/mobile_phone_preparation.html&container=layerModal

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/bluetooth.html#source=http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/bluetooth/mobile_phone_preparation/software-update.html&container=layerModal

MFGF
08-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks A8,

Just so I understand - when a sim is inserted into the dashboard, the car will make/receive calls using the dashboard sim, but the phonebook from the iPhone is still available? This makes sense from what I have seen on my car - I have three bluetooth connections available for my iPhone - one is the hfp connection for making/receiving calls, one is for streaming media and the third appears to be for contacts. When the phone is connected via hfp the contacts connection appears greyed out, and when the sim is inserted into the dash, the hfp connection disconnects and greys out and the contacts connection links up.

Thanks for the info - very much appreciated!

MF.

a8 tech
08-05-2012, 07:41 PM
yep

Guest 2
08-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks A8, thread stuck incase some miss it ..

jbanfie
09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi I like the idea of "Multi-SIM" as that appears to address the issue of no rSAP in the iphone?

Do O2, Orange, Vodafone etc enable you to have 2 SIMs on the same phone number then?

I take it you just phone your mobile company and they will send you one which you just place in the car, or is there more to it?

Regards

Jon (Car coming soon and thought I might have to go Android)

--- later ---

I now realise I should have not gone anywhere near this topic, but sadly I cannot delete my post!

Guest 2
09-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Have a skim through http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?119062-MMI-Navigation-Plus-Online-Services-Mobile-Phones and http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?130718-Instructions-for-Getting-iPhone-Working-with-High-Telephone-and-data-Services

pairey
11-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi, Can I just confirm as my A6 should arrive anytime now, and I am using an iPhone 4S with Orange.

If I am able to get an additional sim from Orange then I could connect as detailed by A8 above, this would allow me to use the sim in the car to make/receive calls and receive data for maps etc...?

I spent the last hour reading through page after page on the A7 forum and just wanted to check my understanding before trying to get an additional sim from Orange.

Thanks...

MFGF
12-06-2012, 07:03 PM
That's my understanding, yes. I have taken my sim out of the iPhone and put it into the car, and the car uses it for data and to make/receive calls.

Cheers!

MF.

s555
05-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Hi I like the idea of "Multi-SIM" as that appears to address the issue of no rSAP in the iphone?

Do O2, Orange, Vodafone etc enable you to have 2 SIMs on the same phone number then?

I take it you just phone your mobile company and they will send you one which you just place in the car, or is there more to it?

Regards

Jon (Car coming soon and thought I might have to go Android)

--- later ---

I now realise I should have not gone anywhere near this topic, but sadly I cannot delete my post!

LOL!! There is not a single provider in the UK that provides "multi SIM" anymore. There's a great conversation about this over in the A7 section, but this is the key point.

a8 tech
05-07-2012, 08:33 PM
can you back this up with some evidence for the benefit of other's and then i will ask the question

17 posts great forum contributor

Guest 2
05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
LOL!! There is not a single provider in the UK that provides "multi SIM" anymore. There's a great conversation about this over in the A7 section, but this is the key point.

jbanfie has seen the links to the discussion I posted 2 months ago - expect these last few posts to disappear ;)

Timothy Nathan
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
A8 tech,

Proving the absence of something is trickier than proving its existence.

It is fair to say that several of us have tackled all the main providers - Vodafone, T-Mobile/Orange/EE, Three and O2 - all say they don't do it.

If you search the web for dual SIMs in the UK you will find some references to a service provided by Orange to large business accounts, but that is not available to the consumer.

You cannot get Dual SIMs in the UK.

s555
05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
This from Vodafone:

"We stopped
the 'Dual SIM' service about one year ago now. This was due do the service
becoming less and less popular for reasons such as cost and also the fact that
customer were simply using another number and performing redirects on the
numbers."

This from T-Mobile:

"We used to use a system called multi sim which is similar to the one described
below but due to on going issues we stopped doing it a couple of years ago."

a8 tech
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Thank you

pairey
05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I spoke with Orange this week and they still offer Single Number, which is two sims for the same number, however this is only available to business customers!
I argued this long and hard to no avail.

s555
07-07-2012, 07:31 AM
I spoke with Orange this week and they still offer Single Number, which is two sims for the same number, however this is only available to business customers!
I argued this long and hard to no avail.

The problem with this is firstly it is for business customers only and secondly it cannot be part of a wider business package that has inclusive or shared minutes. So even if you happened to work for a business that had an orange account, you are unlikely to be allowed this option anyway.

Not a solution.

StigB
10-12-2012, 11:41 PM
The problem with this is firstly it is for business customers only and secondly it cannot be part of a wider business package that has inclusive or shared minutes. So even if you happened to work for a business that had an orange account, you are unlikely to be allowed this option anyway.

Not a solution.

Hi all

Is there any solution to this yet? I have just come from a BMW where there was a data SIM in the car as part of the BMW Connect subscription; this got the online services to the car and I could still use my iPhone via Bluetooth for contacts, and calling via handsfree, with the contacts appearing in the car display.

I've just got an A6 Allroad C7 and cannot believe that a separate car SIM a) is required, b) is not provided and c) disables the iPhone Bluetooth for address book and phone calls! How stone age is that?

I do not particularly want to go to a Galaxy S3, but is there a fix for the MMI software from Audi that gives the same functionality as I had in the BMW?... Not holding my breath!

Many thanks

Timothy Nathan
10-12-2012, 11:55 PM
No. Audi don't appear to be particularly bothered.

jbanfie
11-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I went to the galaxy S3 and haven't looked back at all, only my view, but the S3 is loads better than iphone 4, 4S and 5.

Timothy Nathan
11-12-2012, 12:12 AM
I hated the only Galaxy S3 I have tried, and also, if you are committed to the iPad, you are committed to the iPhone.

StigB
11-12-2012, 08:24 AM
I hated the only Galaxy S3 I have tried, and also, if you are committed to the iPad, you are committed to the iPhone.

I am, that's the problem. I doubt anyone from Audi reads this forum, but a simple software change would fix this and make a lot of people happier with Audi!

StigB
19-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Update following conversation with Audi. They are aware of the issue, which is pretty much limited to the UK - dual SIM solutions being available in other countries. The Audi guys in Germany are working on it. It is accepted that very few phones now support rSAP. Audi UK tell me that they are "hoping" to find a solution... the chap I spoke to seemed to think that a simple in car software upgrade would not be possible from what he already knew. It would be some hardware upgrade and this would be unlikely to be made available as a retrofit. Thus only new vehicles and only after a solution had been found. No timeline given.
However, as a gesture of goodwill they are handing out £350 rebates on Phone Prep Hi... if you ask. Perhaps the more that ask, the faster they will act..?

johnsimcox
19-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Update following conversation with Audi. They are aware of the issue, which is pretty much limited to the UK - dual SIM solutions being available in other countries. The Audi guys in Germany are working on it. It is accepted that very few phones now support rSAP. Audi UK tell me that they are "hoping" to find a solution... the chap I spoke to seemed to think that a simple in car software upgrade would not be possible from what he already knew. It would be some hardware upgrade and this would be unlikely to be made available as a retrofit. Thus only new vehicles and only after a solution had been found. No timeline given.
However, as a gesture of goodwill they are handing out £350 rebates on Phone Prep Hi... if you ask. Perhaps the more that ask, the faster they will act..?
That would then suggest that US destination cars have a physically different hardware set up and not just something in the NA MMI software as in the US they can have a SIM card installed and still connect their phone by Bluetooth, important for Verizon customers as their phones have no SIM Card.

maxwide
24-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Really useful thanks, will experiment when the new car arrives.
Tell me something though; why is this an issue with Audi/Mercedes and not with BMW? BMW have a separate SIM already in the car and you can connect an iPhone with no problem wit full functionality. My research tells me this is to do with the rsap protocol used by the MMI system but not supported by Apple (and others). Will this ever be sorted out? Seems odd to buy a car from a global manufacturer and the most popular phone in the world and still have to spend time scouring forums and taking SIM cards in and out of phones, autoforwarding calls etc etc.
What's the future for this issue? Is anyone there working on it?

Timothy Nathan
24-12-2012, 01:27 PM
The latest thing I was told by Audi UK was that there will be a fix in future models but that anyone who has already given them money can stuff themselves. But that was some time ago, so presumably there is no sense of urgency.

As with the online destination issue, provided that it works in Germany and the US, they really don't care about the UK market.

johnsimcox
24-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Really useful thanks, will experiment when the new car arrives.
Tell me something though; why is this an issue with Audi/Mercedes and not with BMW? BMW have a separate SIM already in the car and you can connect an iPhone with no problem wit full functionality. My research tells me this is to do with the rsap protocol used by the MMI system but not supported by Apple (and others). Will this ever be sorted out? Seems odd to buy a car from a global manufacturer and the most popular phone in the world and still have to spend time scouring forums and taking SIM cards in and out of phones, autoforwarding calls etc etc.
What's the future for this issue? Is anyone there working on it?
There are a number of issues which together conspire to create problems for Audi owners. Firstly in Europe the UK is unusual in that none of the mobile operators offer the facility to have a two SIMs assigned to a single phone number. If this were possible then it would make sense of why Audi do not allow both a SIM card in the SIM slot and bluetooth connected phone because you would not want both connected and active simultaneously. In the US where Verizon does not even have SIM cards in its phones then Audi have designed the system to allow both a bluetooth connected phone and a SIM in the dash (Audi have a deal with T-Mobile which they offer all customers who take Audi Connect).

BMW have done a global deal with Vodafone for their built in SIM and the car comes with a three year contract for that. After that the customer presumably has to renew the contract with BMW/Vodafone at a price with no option to go elsewhere. Also in countries where Vodafone has no network the customer will be roaming and whilst this cost is absorbed within the initial 3 year country it could be quite pricey afterwards. The BMW deal is only Machine to Machine so the owner has to use their own phone for voice calls.

The other issue for Audi drivers is down to choice of phone. Apple has decided not to support rSAP on the iPhone (and is not alone in this) and as such it is at odds with Audi who have decided to adopt this protocol. In their defence I suspect Audi probably started developing this version on MMI more than 3 years ago when rSAP was common place and at the time Apple were a new player in the phone market. Audi (along with the rest of VW) has already announced that future version of their systems will be fully integrated with Apple products (as MB have started to offer with the new A-Class) so it seems that this problem will go away in the future but that is of little comfort to those with Audi Connect today. I would have thought that the EU software could be tweaked to follow the US system and permit an installed SIM and a connected phone and perhaps Audi are working on that although with it being primarily a UK issue and the relatively small number of customers taking Audi Connect they may see as not worthwhile.

jbanfie
24-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Also I believe the BMW system is only 2G - which is not great.

Generally those BMW owners who've seen my Google Maps on the MMI big screen are very jealous.

All the other online services like news and weather are very poor however. I've activated my 3 year subscription to Audi Traffic, but have never used it, just keep it off.

StigB
24-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I would have thought that the EU software could be tweaked to follow the US system and permit an installed SIM and a connected phone and perhaps Audi are working on that although with it being primarily a UK issue and the relatively small number of customers taking Audi Connect they may see as not worthwhile.

I agree - if the software exists in that form, even if a simple ROM update were required I cannot see why they would not do it. As to the number of customers that are taking up Audi Connect, they are hardly going to bother if it cannot be used anyway. Audi would get more takers if they fixed the software!

EvilPostIt
15-01-2013, 11:53 AM
This is great, just spoke to Orange and it works like so....

You are given 2 SIMs of the same number, 1 is higher priority than the other (Lets call that one High and the other Low).

Insert High into the car and Low into your iPhone, here is to cool bit!!!! When the car is started and the High SIM enabled it takes priority over the Low SIM inserted into the iPhone, therefore no need to turn your phone off, also Text messages automatically go to the Low SIM and are therefore received by the phone.

I think I will be switching to Orange when my car arrives!!!!

1 off cost of £30 to add the Single Number feature and then £3 per month.

Just lucky I run a limited company.

MFGF
15-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Just lucky I run a limited company.

Can I have a job, please? ;) :)

EvilPostIt
15-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Will let you know if it works the way they've told me when mine finally arrives.... Got news from the dealer that the build date has moved forward by 3 weeks! :D Which would make it an late April / early May delivery.

EvilPostIt
16-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Spoke to the dealer today and they have received and answer from Audi technical... To the salesmans surprise it wasnt a straight out no. Although it was a "They are working on a retrofit although viability / cost is an open question at this point as there are possible considerations around licensing and whether the current components will work". No idea about timelines etc.

EvilPostIt
29-05-2013, 01:24 PM
For anyone thats interested here is a brochure on the Orange single number stuff which explains how it works.

http://business.orange.co.uk/documents/ice/devices/orange_singlenumber_product_user_guide.pdf

EvilPostIt
14-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Just thought I would post a quick update to straighten out a few things. I have now got the orange single number contract and got all the data up and running in the car, the way it works is as follows.

You are provided with a primary and a secondary SIM and there is then a "ring first" service which was setup to ring the secondary if available otherwise call the primary SIM. The primary SIM is inserted in the phone and the secondary in the car. Thus when the car starts up and the car phone is initialized (there is a small lag between engine start and phone becoming available but probably quicker than bluetooth) all phone calls now go through the car and when dialing from the car it shows up as your normal number at the other end.

One thing that was unexpected was around the call lists accessible via the MMI. I assumed this would be a call list just kept locally to the car and only applicable to car SIM but the call lists are all taken from the bluetooth connected phone along with the contact list (This contact list was expected though). All in all this is now prett much seamless. The only loss of functionality is the fact that I cant use the phone to start a call ie if there is telephone number in an email I would have to call, then hang up and then use the dialed calls list to make the call from the car.

All in all works very well and has reduced my monthly phone bill too.

For any further clarifications just ask.

onionman100
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi There,

Thanks for the post and information, I am in exactly the same position with my IPhone not working fully with my car's Sat nav. And was told by Audi that my iphone does have RSAP that is required for google maps & services etc.
So I cannot get 3G internet or anything at the mo, just normal sat nav & telephone.

Do this Orange Single number service only apply to business users or does Vodafone other carries do something like it do you know ?
I'm really thinking of changing my phone to a samsung or something but I am really pleased with my Iphone......!

what else is there available to make this work ?:confused:

EvilPostIt
02-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi, I tried calling around the major networks to see if they did a similar thing back at the beginning of the year and unfortunately they did not. Also spoke to vodafone again back in july when i switched over and when talking to the cancellation team I told them why i was leaving and what orange were offering and they still said there was nothing they could do.

I too like my iphone and dont really want to be forced into changing but fortunately I run my own business. Not quite sure why Orange dont offer this kind of thing to retail customers too. Maybe they just dont want people using it...

Cant remember where it was posted but i believe there is a "fix" coming out soon, although it involves plugging the phone in every time!

johnsimcox
02-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Cant remember where it was posted but i believe there is a "fix" coming out soon, although it involves plugging the phone in every time!
Look at post #22 in this thread

ScottyA6
20-09-2013, 06:09 AM
My brand new 2014 spec Avant arrives on Wednesday next week. It has the tech pack so has Audi connect, BT high etc. I am also an iphone 5 user on O2.

Breaking all all this down is it fair to say that if I want to use all of the connectivity functions in the tech pack I am going to have to pull the SIM card out of my phone and put it in the car ?

Thanks for any replies

hopgop
20-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Scotty, I'm in exactly the same boat. 2014 MY car about to be ordered in my case./ IPhone 5/ tech pack. I believe from research - Mainly on this forum, Audi's knowledge in general about this is patchy to say the least! The best way forward appears to be separate sim in dash on either a pay as you go unlimited contract. or the option I'm intending is a one off yearly paid for sim with 12x1GB. Seems that option will work best in my opinion. Pulling the sim out every time I got in/ out of my car wasn't a viable option, not to me anyway. New car's appear to be better sorted in that the dash sim will no longer take precedence over your phone. I am totally no expert, however if I'm wrong someone will put us both straight I'm sure!

Just as a little side issue. I have only just found out two things. Audi still haven't released an IPhone 5 cradle that works with Bluetooth prep high/low. This to me was entirely the reason why I embarked on a big fact finding mission. My hope was rather than somehow just leaving my phone rattling around in the armrest holder. I wanted to actually plug my phone into a cradle. This then both charges and utilises the external aerial on the car giving hopefully better reception. However...... IPhones no matter how they are plugged in, or to whatever interface you choose do not have an antenna connection anywhere at all !! The whole premise of me not liking the basic Bluetooth connection was flawed from the start. Oh well!

johnsimcox
20-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Scotty, I'm in exactly the same boat. 2014 MY car about to be ordered in my case./ IPhone 5/ tech pack. I believe from research - Mainly on this forum, Audi's knowledge in general about this is patchy to say the least! The best way forward appears to be separate sim in dash on either a pay as you go unlimited contract. or the option I'm intending is a one off yearly paid for sim with 12x1GB. Seems that option will work best in my opinion. Pulling the sim out every time I got in/ out of my car wasn't a viable option, not to me anyway. New car's appear to be better sorted in that the dash sim will no longer take precedence over your phone. I am totally no expert, however if I'm wrong someone will put us both straight I'm sure!

Just as a little side issue. I have only just found out two things. Audi still haven't released an IPhone 5 cradle that works with Bluetooth prep high/low. This to me was entirely the reason why I embarked on a big fact finding mission. My hope was rather than somehow just leaving my phone rattling around in the armrest holder. I wanted to actually plug my phone into a cradle. This then both charges and utilises the external aerial on the car giving hopefully better reception. However...... IPhones no matter how they are plugged in, or to whatever interface you choose do not have an antenna connection anywhere at all !! The whole premise of me not liking the basic Bluetooth connection was flawed from the start. Oh well!
The lack of an antenna connection is an issue that is common across most (if not all!) smartphones. Gone are the days when your Nokia 6310 had a little rubber cap on the back that gave you access to an antenna connection. Phones that support rSAP and thus allow the transfer of the phone protocol to the car seemed to be the way forward, but many vendors (not just Apple) seem to be dropping their support for this. Tighter integration of phones and cars (eg new Mercedes A-Class) does seem to be happening including using the phone as the SatNav device rather than installing an expensive in-car system, but that runs the risk of making cars phone manufacturer, if not specific phone model, specific. To date Apple seems to be favoured manufacturer for this - presumably because Apple is able to control the entire ecosystem - but what happens to all of the Samsung or Microsoft/Nokia customers?

ScottyA6
20-09-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't want to be pulling cards out of phone and back again either. The 12x1Gb sim seems like the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

belly buster
20-09-2013, 05:16 PM

The 3 SIM is a 12GB 12 month sim, not a 12x1GB SIM. Maybe that is what you meant anyway.

Regarding the antenna, I guess the dash SIM uses the antenna if you want to go down that route. Prep high does not have cradle support (I guess they assume you will use the dash SIM). If you get AMI (included in the tech pack) you get an iphone connector / charger lead in the armrest but no cradle. You could always make one ;)

*edit just to be clear this refers to MY14*

johnsimcox
20-09-2013, 05:35 PM
The 3 SIM is a 12GB 12 month sim, not a 12x1GB SIM. Maybe that is what you meant anyway.

Regarding the antenna, I guess the dash SIM uses the antenna if you want to go down that route. Prep high does not have cradle support (I guess they assume you will use the dash SIM). If you get AMI (included in the tech pack) you get an iphone connector / charger lead in the armrest but no cradle. You could always make one ;)

*edit just to be clear this refers to MY14*
But currently no dedicated AMI cable for iPhone 5 Lightening connector. Need to use Apple adaptor to connect to AMI (to get AMI functionality) or use 12v socket in the armrest with suitable USB power plug to just charge phone

ScottyA6
20-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm not too bothered about a cradle, the phone takes its chances in the glove box like everything else rolling around in there. It would have been nice to simply climb into the car and just have it and phone go 'bing', especially with such a prolific manufacturer as VW Group with one of the most popular brands of phone on the planet but C'est le vie. For a minimal outlay it is get roundable and still keep the iphone (I'm too old and set in my ways to have a go with something else and for business regardless of what the Blackberryites say they are fantastic).

Genuinely helpful advice in here that has helped me sort this out before I had to wrestle with the problem when the car had arrived, I should be all set, stick the new sim in the dash and with luck will be off.

hopgop
23-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Great Scotty. Let me know how you get on when you collect your new baby.

ndiye
21-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Just thought I'd share and bring an update to this issue, Audi have resolved it in the form of a MMI Firmware update simultaneous data sim and bluetooth connectivity now natively supported, follow the link (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?130718-Instructions-for-Getting-iPhone-Working-with-High-Telephone-and-data-Services/page9) to my post.;)

Audi Aidan
22-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Mines in today for the update to the latest "777", however I don't believe its "native" as it still needs the VCDS to enable the hidden MMI menu and fiddle in there before it will work?

So getting the firmware updated seems to be only half the battle.

Enabling the eng menu and accidentally killing the MMI while fiddling does worry me a little I must admit.

Audi Aidan
26-07-2014, 02:35 PM
I can confirm this works great now, got both mine connected!

Thanks,

Aidan

stanleyy
31-08-2014, 11:08 PM
I can also confirm that this fix works! I have asked my official dealer to do it - I have shown them this forum and they were able to activate it. Many many thanks for this! I can finally fully use my data SIM and access point!

Timothy Nathan
05-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Epsom Audi installed this update without a murmur. I haven't checked that it works, as I now have a Samsung with RSAP, but the software has clearly been changed as some of the menu items are different.

But there was never any question of having to "persuade" Epsom Audi. I asked, they asked for the part number, I gave it (thanks to this forum) and they fitted it FOC. End of story.

Furillo
28-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Big shout out for Kite and his laptop. Made the menu changes for me. Absolute gent. iPhone and sim card heaven.

kite
28-11-2014, 03:03 PM
😳😳

MFGF
28-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Big shout out for Kite and his laptop. Made the menu changes for me. Absolute gent. iPhone and sim card heaven.

George is a great guy! :)

kite
28-11-2014, 06:30 PM
George is a great guy! :)
Thank you Mark.

surfymark
08-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Hi there!

Newbie here with my first question so please be gentle! :-)

Collecting my new A6 Avant tomorrow and have been wondering about the iPhone/Data thing.

I already have an iPad with a data sim in it. I don't really want to have to take the sim card out of this and it seems silly to take out another data contract.

I have an iPhone but it is a company phone so I don't want to use too much data on it if possible (but still need to use it to make and take phone calls).

I also have a personal iPhone (an older one) with a contract that includes quite a bit of data.

Can I bluetooth two devices to the MMI system (I have the Tech Pack with Audi Connect too if that makes a difference), one for phone calls and one for data? (Either two iPhones or 1 iPhone and 1 iPad)

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks
Mark

Scott K
08-07-2015, 03:13 PM
No. The data only works with rsap on some androids. I no longer use a sim in my ipad as I have wifi at work and at home and can tether to my phone if need be. Use a sim in the car as well-£15 for 3 months ee with 6gb. When you pick up your car, the dealer should hook up the phone for you. That allows you to make calls through the MMI, play music etc.

surfymark
08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
No. The data only works with rsap on some androids. I no longer use a sim in my ipad as I have wifi at work and at home and can tether to my phone if need be. Use a sim in the car as well-£15 for 3 months ee with 6gb. When you pick up your car, the dealer should hook up the phone for you. That allows you to make calls through the MMI, play music etc.

Ok thanks for this. So I guess I really do need a new SIM for my car. Yours seems pretty good, I was looking at the 3 one that is £70 for 12 months with 12GB total. Will have a look at EE.

cheers
Mark

A6S
08-07-2015, 03:52 PM
I'm using a 3 sim at the moment
the mmi generally doesn't use that much data unless you start using it as a hotspot.
I figured out on the 3-2-1 deal with 3 it's only 1p per mb. I stuck a tenner on it and it's been 3 months now and it's still got credit

Bar Shaker
03-09-2015, 03:05 PM
I managed to get O2 to share my phone data allowance (20gb) with a new sim card... which now resides in the car. They charge £8.50 a month but this is discounted to £4.25 for the first year. I can cancel the second sim at any time.