PDA

View Full Version : Question Weird electrical fault - any clues

Rpw001
08-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Hello all, having previously been a great beneficiary of the posts on this site I now have the need to post my first question so please go easy on a newbie who has emerged from the shadows.

Having lent my 2005 B7 Avant 2.0TDi to the wife for the day it was returned with a spurious electrical fault I can't seem to resolve.

I have previously installed a Dension ipod dock into the CD multi-changer socket on the back of the symphony 2 stereo. First up i notice the ipod no longer works, the stereo won't select the option of the multi-changer, pressing the CD button activates the head unit 6 CD changer only and doesn't even register the secondary option. Now when switching the radio on the lights on it are dimmed for 2-3 seconds before it engages which never used to happen.

Next thing I notice is that the radio doesn't switch off when I take the key out of the ignition as it has always previously done. Shortly after this I also find the steering wheel controls for the radio don't work and then making matters worse the cruise control doesn't work either.

The icing on the cake was delivered when I also realised the windows are still operable with the key out of the ignition which it never used to do. I'm now wondering what else is going to start going west of its own accord when i'm not in the car.

Does anybody have any clues as to what might be causing all of the faults? Logic would imply that they are linked as they have all occurred at the same time but then again i've owned this car for a while and logic is not always applicable.

Many thanks
RpW :confused:

plucker
08-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Did all this start to happen after instaling the ipod dock? If so have you removed the ipod dock yet to see if it has a short or that no cables are snagged or shorting behind the symphony unit.

Have you had a vag reader on it to see if any error codes show up?

Sounds like a short to me sorry not much help but worth checking.