PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on the new Audi A4 2.0 tdi - 177ps

SCZ4
05-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I was all set to order a BMW 320d M Sport touring today, one of the last of the the current model as they are due for replacement in Sept. BMW were offering massive discount, but sadly it looks like I've just missed the cut off to order one to the spec I'm looking for.

I stopped past the Audi garage on the way home. Spotted a rather tasty A4 S-Line Black Edition Avant in the showroom. Looks really nice both in and out, decent size boot too. I've always been put of Audi's for a number of reasons, but this one tempting, except for the price, but hoping I can work them down.

Got a couple of questions. I know it's early days, so unlikely anyone will have properly run in the diesel engine yet. But what sort of mpg are you getting from the 177ps front wheel drive engine? The Audi sales guy even suggested I won't get anywhere near the 58mpg in the book, more like 44mpg, which is very disappointing.

Is the engine a new design or a different map to the old engine?

Also, what's the sound quality of the Bang and Olufsen sound system like? There were no mention of subwoofers in the description.

Struggling to find any reviews, anyone got a link?

Any other advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Graeme

Hammy969
06-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Hello Graeme

I suspect but can't confirm that it will be a remap and some other slight changes.

I have a pre face lift 143. It gets circa 45 mpg and it is booked as combined at 55mpg.

IMHO the difference between a4 and320 are:
A4
Good build quality
Looks better
Is slightly bigger
Front wheel drive (depends on your view)
Excellent comfort.

More economical
Probably handles slightly better.

Price wise have a look at orange wheels for prices to negotiate with .

Btw welcome.
Ham

SCZ4
06-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the advice and tip on Orange Wheels, never been there, Audi were offering £2500 discount plus the £1800 contribution, so another £1300 would be nice.

Anyway, I think it's all in vain, the mpg and the fact there is a 5 month waiting list is very off putting. I suspect this thread has put an end to the Audi hunt which is a real shame. I've been offered a 177 quattro overnight so may take this and do some mpg test, but I think the quattro won't give the same results as the front wheel drive. Might be better with a 143 fwd model.

Not sure I'll like the peaky engine either, with the BMW you can hardly tell it was turbo charged, fantastic progressive torque.

Hammy969
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Take the test drive. It will clear it in your own head.

Btw the new cr engines are not peaky like the old pds were. Good spread across the whole rev range.
The quattro will take circa 4 mpg off the fwd.

Good luck

John140
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Not sure I'll like the peaky engine either, with the BMW you can hardly tell it was turbo charged, fantastic progressive torque.

The TDI 143 is like this actually, hard to tell its turbocharged. To be honest as soon as you start to extract over 160BHP from a 2 litre diesel something has to get a bit more touchy.

Longdog
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I was all set to order a BMW 320d M Sport touring today, one of the last of the the current model as they are due for replacement in Sept. BMW were offering massive discount, but sadly it looks like I've just missed the cut off to order one to the spec I'm looking for.

I stopped past the Audi garage on the way home. Spotted a rather tasty A4 S-Line Black Edition Avant in the showroom. Looks really nice both in and out, decent size boot too. I've always been put of Audi's for a number of reasons, but this one tempting, except for the price, but hoping I can work them down.

Got a couple of questions. I know it's early days, so unlikely anyone will have properly run in the diesel engine yet. But what sort of mpg are you getting from the 177ps front wheel drive engine? The Audi sales guy even suggested I won't get anywhere near the 58mpg in the book, more like 44mpg, which is very disappointing.

Is the engine a new design or a different map to the old engine?

Also, what's the sound quality of the Bang and Olufsen sound system like? There were no mention of subwoofers in the description.

Struggling to find any reviews, anyone got a link?

Any other advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Graeme

Can't comment on the engine but the FL A4 does have a few extra fuel saving mods over the pre-FL model including a new steering system and brake regen. The B&O on my new S4 is sublime, better than the Bose in the B7.