PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Passat steering problems

lalaland
05-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I have recently bought a 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Sport and noticed a small issue with the steering.

When accelerating hard(ish) the steering gives a light pull left and right. I suspected this may be torque steer as it doesn't happen at low speeds, but it's on my mind that this isn't right.

I am not thrashing my car when this occurs, so I was wondering if maybe there's an issue with the steering such as tracking or balancing?

Anyone got any suggestions on what to check or any known issues with these cars?

Thanks

glynnd
05-06-2006, 07:04 PM
It would be advisable to have everything checked however I would suspect you are experiencing torque steer as this will occur most at peak torque which is probably around 3000 rpm or even less and you dont need to be thrashing it. Have you got good quality tyres fitted?

:biglaugh:

lalaland
06-06-2006, 09:06 AM
My mate suggested torque steer too. It's 150bhp and a front wheel drive, so it seems possible.

The one thing I noticed last night is that the steering wheel isn't quite central when the wheels are straight. It's only a tiny bit out and not noticable unless you look. Would this be part of the problem? Maybe alignment out or something?

glynnd
06-06-2006, 05:22 PM
An off set steering wheel does not neccesarily say there is a problem. Depends when and who tracked it up possibly.

lalaland
07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I am starting to think it may just be torque steer, I was used to a 90bhp car before this so it may just be that I am being paranoid.

It's going for a service soon anyway, so I'll see what they think then, it's nothing so severe that it's causing me problems.