PDA

View Full Version : Will my b5 passat cable fit b5.5? Or do I need a newer vcds?

KieranM
03-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi there,

I have been able to succesfully connect and scan my b5 passat with my USB cable (not rosstech). My partner's work colleague's far newer b5.5 54 reg passat could not open any modules, although it reported that it was connected in vcds Lite - shareware 1.0.

Initially it would not connect at all on com 4, which I have used on mine, a golf and a bora, I switched to com 3, and it reported an excellent connection.

I did an auto scan and no modules could be opened, the led on the cable was solid, whereas on mine and others it would blink rapidly indicating activity.

So is it my cable, my vcds or what? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kieran

bearthebruce
03-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Should be no difference between B5 and B5.5 in terms of connection by the scan tool. Aftermarket Radio? Diagnostic Port fuse? Diagnostic port wiring?

KieranM
03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply, I shall ask the chap to see if he can find the fuse, as the radio is the original (mine isn't!) and the wiring could be an issue, strange that the LED should light at all if there was a problem, or maybe the wiring is damaged from water ingress (more than likely being a Passat!)

bearthebruce
03-05-2012, 10:00 PM
If the LED lights, presumably the fuse is good. Do you know if another tool has been tried? At the moment you need to narrow down the possibilities.....

KieranM
03-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't know, but I can find out, when you say tool do you mean software or cable? My cable works fine on my car and others, just not this one.

bearthebruce
04-05-2012, 01:08 PM
That means you know the tool works on other cars. What you don't know is if other tools will communicate to the car with which you are having difficulty. So, you should check that out.

If you find others do not work with that car, then you likely have a wiring issue or you have a controller that is toasted and tying up the communications to the diagnostic tool. Troubleshooting this kind of a problem can get complicated. You may chase wires. You may have to unplug modules. But, before you start all of that, you need to know if any tool can talk to this car.