PDA

View Full Version : Fault code 17978 "Engine blocked my immobiliser. HELP!

Mr Tibbs
03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
My a4 TDI wont start (W reg) .

I put the key in, and the mileage, time, and display does not work, yet Glow plug and warning display lights work.

When i turn the key it starts for a second (I can Rev Engine in this second) then it dies.

I have been to a local garage who have given me this fault:

17978 - Control Body module\Car blocked by immobiliser.

Any suggestions what it is?

Also do you think i did the right thing of taking it to a garage with more electrical knowledge than a normal mechanic?

To me its something to do with the immobiliser or the instrument panel broken, rather than a mechanical fault.

Pleeeease help!

zollaf
03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
ok, so the dash panel has an aerial around the ignition switch that reads a chip in the key. if it reads correctly, it allows the car to start. its not reading it correctly hence why the car will not start. either the chip in the key has failed , the aerial has failed, or the dash has failed. part of the dash not working could mean the dash has failed, but i would check all your fuses first just to make sure. you then need someone with a good computer such as auto logic or the right vcds to try to code the key into the dash. if this doesn't work, they may be able to identify what is faulty from what won't work. if it is the dash, bba reman can often repair them and all should be well, or a used dash can be fitted and coded in.

nv_london
18-09-2013, 10:38 AM
My a4 TDI wont start (W reg) .

I put the key in, and the mileage, time, and display does not work, yet Glow plug and warning display lights work.

When i turn the key it starts for a second (I can Rev Engine in this second) then it dies.

I have been to a local garage who have given me this fault:

17978 - Control Body module\Car blocked by immobiliser.

Any suggestions what it is?

Also do you think i did the right thing of taking it to a garage with more electrical knowledge than a normal mechanic?

To me its something to do with the immobiliser or the instrument panel broken, rather than a mechanical fault.

Pleeeease help!

Hi, just wondering if you ever got this sorted as I'm experiencing exactly the same problem (i.e. car starts fine but then cuts out after a sec or so, no lights on dash and same fault code).

It would be great if you could let me know if/how you ever got this sorted.

Many thanks.

Simon Coyle
15-09-2015, 12:16 AM
HI im experiencing the same problem any advice on what could be the fault ... Thanks

nv_london
22-09-2015, 10:45 AM
HI im experiencing the same problem any advice on what could be the fault ... Thanks

Hi, my fault was due to a 'dodgy' instrument cluster. After some googling, asking around, checking fuses etc etc I took the instrument cluster out of the car and to a local auto-electrician who opened it up and found that there was a loose connection to one of the terminals. He literally pushed it back into place and after reinstalling the cluster the car started and never cut out again. To be fair to him, he did tell me that by opening up the cluster you are invalidating it's warranty and that the cluster couldn't be fixed properly/permanently and that the temporary fix could last anywhere from a few minutes to years and therefore advised me to buy another cluster as a backup incase it ever need to be replaced and reprogrammed.

For peace of mind, I did buy a secondhand unit on eBay (with the exact part number - very important for reprogramming) but have never used it since the temporary fix has now lasted two years.

I'm not guaranteeing this will solve your problems but it worked for me.

Hope you get it sorted.