PDA

View Full Version : 2006 A4 Cabriolet roof fault

mhobson
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
The roof on my wife's A4 cabriolet has refused to close. It opened fine this morning but when she tried to close it the windows dropped as usual, the hood space cover unlocked and rose a couple of inches and stopped. Reversing the switch the hood went back and locked. I used the special key and opened and closed the roof manually a couple of times as I read that that may reset the system but without success.

VCDS shows faults:

02000 Switch position
008 - Implausible signal

01992 Convertible top compartment latch switch (F293); unlock
008 - Implausible signal

I have read about some people replacing the frame position potentiometer Audi 8H0 959 613 A, but I would appreciate advice as to whether this is what I should buy or are there any other options or suggestions.

Thanks,

Michael

mhobson
05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Hello again,

I know that there have been a number of posts on this subject before which I have read, but would greatly appreciate advice from someone who could enlighten me about the likely source of those specifice fault codes I have quoted.

Waiting in hope,

Regards,

Michael

Guest 2
05-05-2012, 12:16 PM
02000 - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/02000

01992 - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01992

mhobson
12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Hello,

I have looked at the ross tech site pages but still cannot find the fault.

The Convertible Top Compartment Latch Switch (F293) seems to be working OK the rear compartment latch seems to open and close fine when the operating switch it pulled or pushed as does the F294 which latches the hood on the top of the windscreen.

The hood if closed (UP) just opens a few centimeters when the switch is operated and if open (DOWN) the rear cover unlatches and opens a little.

I can see no obvoius wiring issues.

The problem arose I think when my wife and daughter were in the car and had a box of shopping just under the roof box in the boot and I suspect maybe the top of a bottle was resting on the roof box and maybe shortly after the roof switch had been pushed the movement of the occupants caused the roof box to move a bit and operate the microswitch.

There has never before been a problem with the roof.

I again ask if the contributors think that there may be a fault with the frame position potentiometer Audi 8H0 959 613 A, which I see that some people on other sites have had to change before.

Regards,

Michael

Mayor West
26-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Sorry to thread jack but i have a similar fault, the roof wont open though, it does unlock and lift a few inches, the windows go down but then thats it. Ive have Vag Com and it gave this fault.

Monday,21,May,2012,18:02:29:37174
VCDS Version: Release 11.11.3
Data version: 20120401

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 26: Auto Roof Labels: 8H0-959-255.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8H0 959 255 A
Component and/or Version: VSG B6 CABRIO 6894
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code: WSC 00672 785 00200
VCID: 346D5EE554204E9
1 Fault Found:
01996 - Convertible Top Lock Switch (F294); Open
008 - Implausible Signal

CLEARED - MANUAL RESET

Address 26: Auto Roof Labels: 8H0-959-255.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8H0 959 255 A
Component and/or Version: VSG B6 CABRIO 6894
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code: WSC 00672 785 00200
VCID: 346D5EE554204E9
1 Fault Found:
02000 - Switch Position
008 - Implausible Signal

Can anyone help as its driving me insane

thanks, in advance

mhobson
27-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Hello,

I still have the same fault, I even looked at the elsawin manual section for the roof but it was of no great help, I have read that Audi techs have to do a course on the Cabriolet top before they are supposed to rectify the faults, so I have given up and booked the car into Audi Limoges on Wednesday, I will re-post as to what they do to sort it out. I have heard that it may just be a position potentiometer in the roof, I just hope it is not the control module or even worse the hydraulic pump.

Michael

mhobson
08-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello,

As promised I am letting those interested know the result of the repair done at Audi Limoges.

The fault was the hydraulic pump motor. Only that part was changed and it is now working fine. Cost was 450 Euros.

Hope this may help other members.

Regards,

Michael

jkmb
22-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Just in case anyone else comes across this thread, the problem I had was a faulty pump motor. Audi quoted £1500 but I got the motor overhauled by Autoelectron via Ebay for less than £100:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/autoelectron
I can't recommend them highly enough.

mhobson
22-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Just in case anyone else comes across this thread, the problem I had was a faulty pump motor. Audi quoted £1500 but I got the motor overhauled by Autoelectron via Ebay for less than £100:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/autoelectron
I can't recommend them highly enough.
Don't know why you were quoted so much from Audi, our repair was done at Audi Limoges at 450 euros and that included a genuine new pump.

I have access to vcds and the fault codes did not clearly identify the pump motor, there are a number of sensors on the system which could have gone faulty.

Did Autoelectron identify the fault for you and who removed and replaced the part?

Good to hear the roof is working and you are happy, maybe think about changing your Audi dealer.

Regards, Michael

mhobson
22-08-2013, 10:36 PM
The pump motor is quite cheap, I think Audi may have quoted for the pump itself which I think is very expensive.

jkmb
23-08-2013, 08:12 AM
No, I don't know how Audi managed to quote so much. I was told that they only supplied the motor and pump assembly. Sounds good if you got that done for 450 euros.

I had a guess at the fault based on reading many reviews and then talking to Autoelectron by phone. I removed the motor and sent it off; they tested first and confirmed it needed doing. Turned around very quickly and it has done the job.

sebsjb
24-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Hello all.

We've just purchased a 2007 B7 A4 Soft top in a lovely bright red. We were having great fun showing everyone the flash roof etc. until it decided to stop totally today. Que frantic panicing and reading of manuals...

Thank you to all above who I think have put our minds at rest - partuclarly with the link to Autoelecton's ebay page. Our problem apears to be exactly as this and other posters - that is it open 2 or 3 inches and then stops. We cant hear any sound at all nor have we had any error messages/flashing lights displayed - so meaning (to me) that the motor is not running. This has got to be worth a go before we go and spend a fortune sending it in to the dealrs - I always find it steer clear of Audi dealers at all costs.

We'll let you know how we go on.

Steve and Sarah

pondside
11-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Believe me you do not need a new motor its a simple fix just unplug the motor remove the two bolts and pull of the motor housing (its stiff because of thee powerful magnets) you will find that the motor brushes are not touching the armature, carefully slide them up and down the holder until they slide easily I eased them with a knife to open the slot but take care not to damage them or the wire. DO NOT REMOVE THE BOLTS ON THE HYDRAULICS END OR YOU WILL BE COVERED IN FLUID!!
reassemble and test. Simples!! see my other post for another common fault.

deutsch
11-05-2014, 06:38 PM
new motor from tps (vag trade department) about £135

Betsy
12-04-2020, 12:54 PM
Hi Michael,

I have the same issue every spring (after I have not used the roof for the winter) and I have to do the same fix every year. This year I decided to make a video of how to fix it incase anyone else has the same issue. I've just uploaded it to YouTube.

Audi A4 Cabriolet - fix for roof not opening - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wWst9zJLOvw)

It's a pretty easy fix, takes about 20-30 mins (a little longer if you have to video all the steps!). The issue (on my car) is that the little spring-loaded pin inside the electric motor that connects to the rotor in the motor gets stuck on my car. It's the motor that drives the hydraulics for the roof, the one that makes a whine when the roof is opening. In my car, the roof opens a crack but the whine of the motor never kicks in. The video shows the symptoms in my car, and then at the end of the video shows the roof working again. Hope that's some use to you, although it's a while since you posted!