PDA

View Full Version : audi cab 2001 1.8 20v brakes.

mrjolly
02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Hey all. Ive had my dads car to mot and look at his brakes ( 2001 cab 1.8 20v) . the car passed the test with an advise on a slightly binding front calliper. my dad has always said they are not great, i know what he means , the pedal feels springy, not spongy or hard , ive not felt it on any other car. so i got to work and ended up with sticky sliders on every callpier sticky pads in all carriers and all in a bad way. fixed all the callipers, new discs and pads all round and the brakes still feel similar, the car stops better now but it aint like any other modern car. ive read other threads about them and people are saying its a poor system on these cars . i just find that a bit hard to swallow. i wanted to give daddy his car back with proper feeling brakes . any advice / experience anybody .
ta sid

zollaf
02-05-2012, 07:51 PM
does it have a servo or hydraulic assistance ?

mrjolly
02-05-2012, 08:19 PM
now that you ask , i dunno. ive just done the belts on it noticed a strange dealy under the battery area that looked like it had brake hoses on it, not seen one before , could that be a hydraulic assister?
ta for reply.

zollaf
02-05-2012, 08:26 PM
there is either a big round servo with the master cylinder sticking out, or no servo and a thing that looks like a hand grenade under the battery connected into the power steering system.

mrjolly
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM
hand grenade it is dude, just went out and had a look , no servo!!!! cant belive i never noticed lol.
whats the crack with the grenade then my freind ?

zollaf
02-05-2012, 08:37 PM
the grenade is a hydraulic accuumulator, basically the pas pump pressurises it and it holds pressure. when they fail the brake warning light will take a few seconds to go out when first started. this grenade then feeds pressure to the brake master cylinder where it assists braking, sort of. citreon xantia's use this same system but for the suspension as well. this is why there is no servo as its just a different system doing the same job, helping you brake. this does give the brakes a kind of spongy feel and its perfectly normal as they offer great assistance, more i think than a normal servo, so is nothing to worry about. i have just got rid of my coupe with the same system and that took some getting used to.

mrjolly
02-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Zollaf . I thank you . you kinda made everything right for me there brother. what a star !!!
i will sleep well tonight lol
cheers sid.

zollaf
02-05-2012, 08:41 PM
no probs, happy to help, now hit that thanks button, trying to get to 500 before the weeks out :)

fourringsrus
03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
no probs, happy to help, now hit that thanks button, trying to get to 500 before the weeks out :)

500, crikey, here ya go