PDA

View Full Version : Allroad/Stronic comments please

BrianWM
02-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Hi,
I'm looking at a new A6 Allroad and no one here seems to have mentioned this model so far. I believe it is available to order now. I wanted the Allroad version as a kind of replacement for a Volvo XC90 and E320 Merc I've been driving. I'd be interested in any comments on Allroad versions. I have owned an Audi previously but it was 25 years ago, I assume they're a bit different now !

I also have a concern about the Stronic gearbox. I've driven conventional "slush" autos since my previous Audi; I can appreciate the efficiency an Stronic gearbox provides and the quick gearchanges, I've even had a short test drive in a new A6 Avant 3.0 Quattro where I couldn't fault the gearbox at all. My worry is that after extended driving, especially the stop start variety including up inclines, the "slush" autos smoothness may be lacking, an effect I didn't notice on my short drive. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with extended experience of "slush" autos who has moved to Stronic.

If I still have reservations about the Stronic, I could think about the bi-turbo but that'd only be for the gearbox not for the performance which I'm sure is nice but not needed (by me at least).

MFGF
02-05-2012, 10:19 PM
The C7 Allroad model is so recent that I doubt anyone will have taken ownership of one yet. You will probably get some ideas of things to look out for in the C6 and C5 forums - suspension air springs, compressors etc.

Cheers!

MF.

BrianWM
07-05-2012, 07:43 AM
There must be someone who can offer a few words of wisdom , having switched to S-tronic from "normal" autos; anyone ?

I'm looking at a new A6 Allroad. I've seen comments about DSG gearboxes being jerky sometimes at low speeds and the 245hp engine in the A6 must be near the design limit for this gearbox in any case. I'm a bit concerned that this is a new (ish) technology, who's to say what it's long term durability will be like?

I don't want to seem too much of a spec. geek but if you look at the A7 with the 245 hp engine, it has a tiptronic gearbox and the max torque of 580 Nm occurs over a broader range of rpm than the same engine in an A6 with an S-tronic. I assume Audi have mapped the torque in the A6 to avoid getting too close to the limit of the gearbox. I wonder why Audi decided the A6 & A7 should differ in this regard ? It'd be interesting to see torque curves for these engines.

I struggling to convince myself that it makes sense to buy the Bi-turbo version just so I can get a tiptronic gearbox; performance wise the 245hp would be ample although the better low speed torque of the 315hp would be nice, I'm sure. Anyone got any views apart from waiting for test drives to be available ?

robbyg
07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
having owned a volvo v50 D5 geartronic (propper slushy gearbox with very little feel) and test driven several A6 s-tronics i can confirm they are very different beasts.
the s-tronic does make a few little jerks in 1st/2nd scenarios though i suspect after getting used to how it behaves your driving would adapt all all would become smooth. It was by no means intrusive. In normal driving changes were nice and crisp and fast.

Myself, i hated the volvo geartonic; for example, it would slip the torque converter in 4th going up a hill when changing down to third manually actually reduced the rpm, crazy. It was very smooth, but really annoyed me. I went for a manual xc60 D5 next, but am now reverting to auto in an a6.

I know i would have been very happy with the s-tronic, but i have ordered the bitdi (for performance) despite not test driving the tiptronic gearbox.
However, the bitdi tiptronic uses the same ZF 8 speed as the 5 series and several other torquey new cars. Having driving it in a 535d and 530d i can confirm it is a truly fantastic gearbox, in my opinion better than the s-tronic. Hope this proves to be the case, expensive gamble if not...

Doubt this helps, but at least gives an opinion to consider.
rob

BrianWM
08-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks robbyg, your comments are helpful especially given that you've experienced the various gearboxes. As I've spent the last 25 years driving smooth & jerk free torque converter autos, although I will try a longer test in an s-tronic A6 before I decide, the bitdi would represent the "safe" choice !

Your comments about the Volvo D5 are interesting as well; same as in my XC90 and the auto drives me crazy for the same and more reasons. Such a poor drivetrain in an amazingly well designed package, shame.