PDA

View Full Version : Question Noisy Mk2 91 Standard 8V GTI

Rustygolf
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Does anyone have experience of fitting the 3 box resonated stainless Jetex system to a bog standard 8 valver downpipes and manifold.
Fitted the Jetex stainless a couple of weeks ago and it's still boomy after 300 miles, pretty much the everything Jetex claim they're not. Spent a bit of money adding jute underlay in the boot area etc. Helps a bit, but thats only curing the symptoms.

Any thoughts fellow golfers ????
Any experience of fitting the Jetex decibel insert??

Rustygolf

vwcabriolet1971
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I fitted a few "performance" exhausts to my old MK2 Golf GTI 8V ( Std.) and none were as quiet as the std. VW exhaust. Some of the problem I found was that the stainless steel types were much lighter & thinner than the factory one. Eventually I found the S.S. exhausts too noisey and reverted back to the std. VW one with a much quieter tone - at least this kept the wife happy !

Rustygolf
12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
!!!!!Success!!!!!

Last ditch attempt before E Baying the Jetex Exhaust.
Spent another 6 quid and fitted the "Jetex Decibel Insert" from Demon Tweeks. Basically an 11 " long, 2" dia pipe that narrows to about 1 & 3/4 inches. Only place it could really go was inside the pipe that exits the front silencer.
It's taken the boy racer and the boom effect out of it. Just sounds nice and power not affected. Not much louder than stock on tick over when warmed up, and a bit louder than stock under acceleration and over run. NICE

SammoVWT
14-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I know its not quite the same, but I have a jetex cat-back on my mk3 and a jetex downpipe, and the car is very very quiet on tickover, about the same if not a bit quieter than the standard. No extras needed :)

However after 2500+ rpm, you can hear it. Even then its not incredibly loud, just sporty. (I did go for the twin pipe exit for maximum noise reduction)