PDA

View Full Version : Golf mk 3 (1996) towbar fitting issues.

Lefthander
02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Hello all, newbie here!!

This seemed like the best place to come to, with regard to towbar help.....so I signed up.

Ive just purchased a towbar and am experiencing issues attaching it to my chassis. It seems like the spare tyre panel, under the boot, needs to be cut to fit the straight cross bar. Has anyone else come across this, or know how to overcome it?

(Its a normal towbar, not a swan type)

Maybe I should post some pics, to illustrate the problem.

Cheers

bora(ing) nick
02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Hello all, newbie here!!

This seemed like the best place to come to, with regard to towbar help.....so I signed up.

Ive just purchased a towbar and am experiencing issues attaching it to my chassis. It seems like the spare tyre panel, under the boot, needs to be cut to fit the straight cross bar. Has anyone else come across this, or know how to overcome it?

(Its a normal towbar, not a swan type)

Maybe I should post some pics, to illustrate the problem.

Cheers

Posting some pics is a good idea...:beerchug:

Shouldn't ever need to cut metal away if the towbar is the right 1 for the car, regardless of type...

I've just put a Bosal swan neck towbar on my car, and it just replaced the rear impact bar behind the bumper.

All i neede to do was cut a small section of the rear valence out to accommodate the towbar.

Hope someone can be more help without pics

Nick

Lefthander
02-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for your help mate, Ive managed to fit it. I didnt realise the inner bumper had to be totally removed.
Ive now fitted the towbar, cut a small, neat hole in the bumper and re-attached the bumper.

I have also drilled a small hole under the boot for the electrics, but what do I connect the wires to? I know what the colours of the cables lead to, could I simply wire them to the rear lights?

neileg
03-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I've just fitted a towbar to my 96 Mk3 estate. I wired the electrics into the left rear lamp cluster without any problems.

bora(ing) nick
03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for your help mate, Ive managed to fit it. I didnt realise the inner bumper had to be totally removed.
Ive now fitted the towbar, cut a small, neat hole in the bumper and re-attached the bumper.

I have also drilled a small hole under the boot for the electrics, but what do I connect the wires to? I know what the colours of the cables lead to, could I simply wire them to the rear lights?

Glad you got it sorted....

I'd buy a prewired kit, may cost a few quid but will save you loads of time, as it just plugs in behind both rear light clusters and all you have to do is find an earth (0v) the chassis... and +12V.

Nick

kahuna1
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I've just fitted a towbar to my Golf mk3 hatch. The towbar is on and I've drilled and threaded the cable through to the boot, but so far I haven't attached the electrics. Do I need a relay? Or can I attach it straight into the rear light cluster with some scotch connectors? How much are wiring kits? I can't find any for my model and similar models all retail for £50-100. Any advice with wiring straight into the light cluster would be greatly appreciated.