PDA

View Full Version : Alternator workshop! Advice needed

Ude 65
01-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi all
Just got the alternator workshop code on the dash. I guess this means the alternator pulley needs (£47 gsf) to be replaced. B5.5 tdi130
My question is. Can I do this without taking the front off the car and do I need to change the tensioner as well?
Many thanks

caldirun
01-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi all
Just got the alternator workshop code on the dash. I guess this means the alternator pulley needs (£47 gsf) to be replaced. B5.5 tdi130
My question is. Can I do this without taking the front off the car and do I need to change the tensioner as well?
Many thanks
It can be done by removing the bolt from the fan and dropping the fan down into its surround (put a soft stick, eg plastic or wood into the alternator fan and try to rotate it clock-wise, if it is not free the clutch is seized and you do need to replace it).
The tensioner can be inspected, if the bushes are badly worn or the pulley bearings then replace it.
You will need the special tool to remove the alternator pulley (beware there are 2 types of socket in the alternator shaft so get one to fit yours)

Ude 65
01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
After further inspection it was the alternator that was faulty. No juice to the battery even though it was spinning.
Cost £195 including fitting,:(

Cylon2007
22-03-2013, 06:26 PM
OK I have just had this happen to me on the way home from work, Battery light flashed on a couple of times, then came on and the Alternator Workshop error came on. Stopped car and re-started, error came back straight away, got home OK. Have now checked all fuses - OK , incl the 2 in the ECU box by the bulhead) the Alternator is turning but there is no charge getting to the battery. Would I be right in thinking is the alternator itself? BTW the belt was relaced about 5k ago when I have the cambelt, waterpump etc replaced.

Best place for an exchange alternator in the Manchester area???

2004 TDI Sport 130.

Got the Alternator off, pulley is fine so will pick up an exchange tomorrow, found a place on Duncan St in Salford.

OK an update, got exchange alternator (£80 from manchester Auto Electrics on Duncan St in Salford) fitted and it's all fine again.

Sorry didn't get pics but it possible to do the job without taking the cooling fan off, I had to as aI had nothing to hold it with to undo the bolt. Anyway to do it you ondo and rtemove the top alternator bolt, swing the alternator as far to the right (stood in fronto of the car) ondo the bottom bolt and pull it out till ti toches the colling fan then grip the head with a pair of moles and cut the bolt in half with a junioe hacksaw you can now get the altenator off. To replace you need either a bolt M8 x 125mm long or a pice of threaded rod. there is enought clearance behind the alternator to screw a long bolt or a piece of threaded rod through from the back, it's just a case of popping a nut on the front end, swinging the alternator into place and replacing the top bolt. Some may see this as a bodge but hey it works :-).

vwcabriolet1971
23-03-2013, 10:13 PM
You can save a lot of money by checking the alternator voltage regulator carbon brushes rather than replacing the complete alternator. If the carbon brushes are worn down below their minm. length then the brushes will not make good contact with the slip rings and there will be no charge. A new voltage regulator only costs about £25. it should be obvious if the brushes are excessively worn by the very low pressure on the spring,or better by measuring the brush length. If you don't have the brush length specs, then comparison to a new voltage regulator will quickly reveal if the brushes are excessively worn.Haynes manuals sometimes have the brush length specs. Alternatively you could take your old voltage regulator to your alternator supplier and ask to look at a new V.R. and compare brush lengths. I've replaced 3 V.R.s this way (on family cars) without buying a new alternator - must have saved about £500 so far !