PDA

View Full Version : triangular headed bolt - socket to fit?

Ants
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi,

Whislt working on diesel fuel pump (see previous thread; throttle sender - strange problem), I saw some of the bolts have an unusual / tamper proof type type head on them. They are almost triangular, having only 3 sides (with some rounded sections between the sides) instead of the usual 6 flat sides of a typical bolt head.

Does anyone know what head type is called, or more importantly where to get a socket to fit them?

Sorry if the description isnt that great, but if you have seen them I am sure you will know what I mean, if not I'll try to get some digital pics uploaded.

Thanks Anthony

Veedubber
02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I think this is a ploy by manufacturers to persuade you to go back to the dealer for whatever it is you need done. I'd wager that if you did find the tool that you needed, that it would be rather expensive. I have occasionally managed to MAKE a tool that will fit an odd shaped bolt but it's not easy.

Sorry to not be much help. The tools I had to make were for a peugot and it did involve a ridiculous amount of jiggery pokery and some welding. :Blush:

Ants
02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
some more googling has revealed that it appears to be a Bosch specific thing, which ties in as it on a diesel fuel pump.

Anthony