PDA

View Full Version : Question Does a replacement regulator come with a new seal?

KieranM
29-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi,

So I still have one remaining leak, it seems to be coming in from behind the trim of the front passenger door, which happens to have a broken regulator.

So if I buy a new regulator from GSF/Eurocarparts will it come with a replacement seal or will I have to buy the seal from VW (p/n AKD 497 010 04 R10)?

The top of the door seal I think is knackered too, as by the look of it someone has tried repairing the seal with electric tape, think I'll get that replaced too.

One day I will have a vaguely waterproof car.

caldirun
30-04-2012, 08:48 AM
One day I will have a vaguely waterproof car.
What are you thinking of buying then!

KieranM
30-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Possibly a really big umbrella and some gaffer tape!

Sam
30-04-2012, 04:54 PM
The window regulator replacement kit is (usually) just the guide posts and the cables.

(See my post here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?131781-Avoid-eBay-seller-okzam-uk-poor-understanding-of-warranties.) about who NOT to buy your kit from)

KieranM
30-04-2012, 06:09 PM
So I bought the full replacement regulator (not including motor, or comfort function, whatever that is) from eurocarparts, I previously bought one from GSF last year, still going strong. Still around £50, I also popped by the local vw dealer, and bought a seal, although it wasn't the above part number, he said that was what they would use for pollen filter housing. When it comes I'll take it all to the local garage, here's hoping it will solve the leak, albeit temporarily!

My local garage also said something about a membrane in the door, I don't think my car has them at all, am I wrong?

Sam
01-05-2012, 10:06 AM
The roll of sticky seal they'll have sold you will be fine, I used something similar on mine last year and it's still dry in there now <touch wood>

The inner door skin (which you have to remove to fit the regulator) is sealed with some sort of foamy resealable sticky stuff. There aren't any membranes though.

996jimbo
01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
I assume that the door has a drain; if it has have you checked that the drain isn't blocked?

KieranM
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
The drains do have some crud around them, but they are flowing. Underneath the inner door skin is where I think the water is coming from, and then draining into the car.

Sam
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure that's possible.

When the door is shut there is no way for water to pass from the door innards into the car as the sill is higher than the bottom of the door.

The door card forms a seal too, which would theoretically prevent any water coming into the car.

KieranM
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Hmmm,

Well the regulator is going to be replaced anyway, with said sticky roll. So I guess that would leave the door seal, though I know my window guide is dodgy, but I'm having trouble sourcing a replacement (not counting vw who want £90+)

The water only came in when the car was facing slightly up hill, the water was pooling in the seal just above where the ccm sits, and then draining into the car.

Not sure if that gives any clues to likely culprit of the never ending leak!

caldirun
02-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Hmmm,

Well the regulator is going to be replaced anyway, with said sticky roll. So I guess that would leave the door seal, though I know my window guide is dodgy, but I'm having trouble sourcing a replacement (not counting vw who want £90+)

The water only came in when the car was facing slightly up hill, the water was pooling in the seal just above where the ccm sits, and then draining into the car.

Not sure if that gives any clues to likely culprit of the never ending leak!
I had a leak on the inner door plate, it leaked into the car as my drive has a slope (when parked the other way, no leak!), so makes sense re the up-hill parking!

KieranM
02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Ah cool, I have the bits so I'll be getting into the garage soon! Thanks for the help and advice all.

Kieran

Sam
03-05-2012, 10:02 AM
I need to learn to read properly.

If it's on a slope and there's a lot of water....

Your carpets are going to be pretty sodden after all this is sorted, make sure everything is dried properly before refitting.

You probably want to prop the carpet up with something (I used bits of wood) for a few weeks and leave a towel in there to soak up the water daily. I had the heaters on full/HI for a few weeks too, thankfully it was winter :)

KieranM
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Well here's hoping it is the last source of my passats water feature! I used a peli case and a sun cream bottle to wedge up the front and back, the sun cream bottle wasn't much good but I find a bungee cord attached to the driver seat headrest and the underneath of the rear carpet is quite useful . It is mostly dry now apart from one awkward bit which is near the centre console underneath the passenger seat.

It is going in tomorrow so hopefully that will sort it.

Thanks all

KieranM
04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
The old seal was truly dead, it has been replaced and all my windows work, not only that the mechanic gave me a replacement drivers door controls, and a spare rear wiper motor, with a replacement hose. The washer was blocked on that motor, but it did highlight where my leak was coming from, the hose with the male end bit is split! How on earth will I fix that?! So far some puncture repair glue, heat shrink and copious duct tape, has slowed it down.

1 more question - how many pins should the plug have that goes into the boot catch (estate)? Mine has two, but looks as if one has snapped off inside the housing, or maybe it's a blank?

Many thanks, here's to drier (not completely dry -not possible) Passats!