PDA

View Full Version : Vento TD aceleration problem - Help needed

karnelle
02-08-2007, 08:49 AM
My 1995 TD is VERY sluggish when pulling away in low gear. I bought the car 4 years ago and put it straight in for a service and cam belt change. Whilst driving on holiday & trying to go up a very steep hill the car came to a standstill and totally stopped - she would hardley move in 1st even with my foot flat on the floor - the AA were called and he noticed a small pipe had not been fitted properly and was drawing air in and also told me to remove the mat I had i nthe driver's side as it can restrict acceleration - this seemed to do the job (sorry by now u know i'm female & blonde!:Blush2:) - I've just had a service (& rear brakepipes done)and again been trolling around the countryside & the same loss of power has happened - unless i get a good run at an incline she virtually stops - do u have any ideas what could be the problem before i go back & get really embarrassed- I really would appreciate your help - Thanks

Super-G
03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Has the fuel filter been changed in the service? It's something that does get over-looked, but could be a problem. Over the years dirt can block them, causing fuel starvation, and thus no power. They're not expensive and pretty easy to do. Ask if it was done. Alternatively on the fuel side of things, the injectors may be blocked? Or leaking? Any funny hissing noises? When the turbo's boosting, do you get any whistling noises? Does it boost well? A pipe could have split? There really is so much it could be. But seeing as the brakes have had work, if you jack the car up, does each wheel spin freely? Resistance is the king of power killers! Gd luck sorting it.

karnelle
04-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Has the fuel filter been changed in the service? It's something that does get over-looked, but could be a problem. Over the years dirt can block them, causing fuel starvation, and thus no power. They're not expensive and pretty easy to do. Ask if it was done. Alternatively on the fuel side of things, the injectors may be blocked? Or leaking? Any funny hissing noises? When the turbo's boosting, do you get any whistling noises? Does it boost well? A pipe could have split? There really is so much it could be. But seeing as the brakes have had work, if you jack the car up, does each wheel spin freely? Resistance is the king of power killers! Gd luck sorting it.

Many Thanks for the info - I'm not sure about the filter yet-still need to check that one but have put some redex stuff in the fuel tank and she seems a bit more perky - Will see how things progress - really appreciate your time in replying and tips!:beerchug: