PDA

View Full Version : Water leak by wing mirror

jackg
26-04-2012, 10:41 AM
1996 Passat saloon 1.9TDi
I have had this leak since I bought the car in 2003 and only yesterday have I worked out where it is coming from.
The water comes down the door hinge end window rail on which the glass is guided in the door and then some contiues down the rail but some goes onto the connector block for the electric windows and then it drips onto a rubber cover for the lower hinge and the onto the inner side of the door insulating material and then down the inside of the door and to the floor pan, if that all makes sense.

Trying to figure out where it gets in and the wing mirror bracket and that area is the suspected region but it could be the door seal further up.

I removed the wing mirror to check and inspect the seals and one screw was not holding the wing mirror bracket securely onto the door frame so I cut 1/4" off the end of it so it would screw in properly to clamp the bracket, but this has made no difference to the leak. So it was not that.

I have thoughts of using windscreen seal on this triangular area to see if this makes any difference.
But it is hard to diagnose these leaks correctly.

Any suggestions are welcome to solve this problem.

Thanks
Jack