PDA

View Full Version : MMI Nav plus

nkrypted
23-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Hello,
I have a new a6 on order but did not include the MMI nav plus and am worried I have missed an important feature of the car. Apart from google maps and online features is there any major feature which might convince me to add this option?

23-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Personally, I find the google maps horrific to use. I would have liked the larger screen, but after comparing both systems, I spent the money on other options.

The brochure describes them as:

"MMI Radio Plus including:
- MMI control panel operating the MMI display
(6.5-inch retractable colour display)
- 2 SDHC memory card readers (up to 32GB)
and single CD player that supports MP3,
WMA and AAC
- TP memo – automatically saves traffic news
when driving
MMI Navigation (SD card) including:
- 6.5-inch retractable MMI colour display
with high quality map display including 7-digit
postcode recognition
- Voice control using whole words
- Dynamic route guidance
- Additional display in the Driver's
Information System:

"MMI Navigation Plus including MMI Touch. Hard disk navigation with topographical map display, places of interest and town
models in 3D. Destinations can be entered via the speech dialogue system or MMI Touch, including 7-digit postcode recognition.
The system offers three alternative routes, with the ability to scroll along the selected route and manoeuvre within the map.
Includes 8" display with split-screen mode for route information, dynamic route guidance (TMC), intersection zoom function,
motorway exits and lane recommendations in Driver’s Information System (DIS). Incorporates MPEG4-compatible DVD player and two
SDHC memory card readers (for cards of up to 32GB). Also includes vehicle support based on navigation data including: adaptation
of transmission, lights and adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go function (depending on options fitted). This system is still available
even when navigation is deactivated. "

ninjabob
24-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I would not be without this option - this is the deal breaker for me by comparison to other cars I considered.

I love my music and I have successfully connected my iPod Touch, 160gb hard drive and I got 3500 320kbs MP3 tracks on a 32gb SD Card - they have all worked perfectly. I have a HTC HD2 phone that also connects as a Car Phone using the advanced features of the MMI+ - SIM access profile.

There are obvious improvements I would like to see like scrolling titles but overall I am impressed.

Touch screen would have been a much better option for data entry on the NAV screen rather than fiddling with knobs :Blush2:

Timothy Nathan
24-04-2012, 01:40 PM
...but the MMI Nav Plus comes with handwriting recognition and a pad for scrolling and panning, so it's a good second best to touch screen, in some ways better because you have better control with your wrist on the centre console than hovering at shoulder height (I speak as a pilot, who is very used to trying to manage avionics on the instrument panel in turbulence!)

Having said all that, I am finding that speech recognition is normally the best and fastest solution.

I agree about the SDHC card, I have 32Gb full of music. I didn't realise that that was an option.

ricky_s
24-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I agree about the SDHC card, I have 32Gb full of music. I didn't realise that that was an option.

This is standard on the basic system.

ninjabob
24-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Just wish it supported .flac lossless files.

KAM
25-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I would like to see like scrolling titles Absolutely - couldn't agree more. Single major criticism of MMI

Just wish it supported .flacAbsolutely not:) Why would you want this? I just think a car is an awful environment for listening to 'high fidelity' music. I've never heard a piano actually being played in a car (yeah, OK, I know, I've lived a sheltered life) but listening in a car to a recording of a piano sounds nothing like what I get in a concert hall. Since the car interior shape, furnishings, location of listener etc is all so wrong, why is lossy/lossless so important? As soon as the pressure waves leave the speakers they're lossy and distorted all the way to your ears. I just don't find that flac/wav/cda are designed to cater for the rumble of tarmac, the swish of wipers, the whoosh of wind etc. any more than mp3.

(Ah, as I've been typing this, I've thought of a reason for flac. If all your home rips are flac it's just a matter of convenience not to have to convert them to mp3 for the car. Nothing to do with perceived in-car quality?)