PDA

View Full Version : Milltek/Demon Tweeks Exhaust headache

MILLSY18t
20-04-2012, 01:26 PM
bought a full Milltek off them for £750! Awesome GTI had it cheaper at around £650 but Demon tweeks had it in stock which allowed me to get the car back on the road quicker. I am regretting this now.
The 3 x 17mm headed nuts that clamp the de-cat to the turbo manifold keep coming loose. I think this is caused by a badly formed Milltek downpipe- the downpipe (bit with the flexible bellows on) I recieved from Demon Tweeks, when installed it was VERY close to the gearbox support member on one side, ie the dowpipe should sit centrally with the gearbox member above it but mine was way over the passenger's side, almost touching (1-2mm clearance). I had to fit the exhaust to get the car driveable for work, and couldnt send the exhuast back, after paying £750 I thought it would be right.

So, after i fitted it, luckily it didnt knock or rattle against the gearbox mount so I though phew, I've got away with that one, unfotunatley I may not have.

The ability of the bellows to accomodate movement between the engine and the exahust is crucial, without it the nuts of the turbo can slowly come loose and the cat is pulled about by the engine under changing load. My downpipe is so badly positioned (due the misformed milltek downpipe) that I believe I have little flexibility in the system and that is why the nuts are coming loose.

It is a total PITA having to tighten the 'awkward to access' nuts up every week, after buying what I thought was an expensive improvement. The exhaust sounds great but I would have left the standard on had I known all this would happen.

I have a ths decat fitted but this is not at fault, with the OE cat refitted the position of the bellwos is the same.

This is currently being looked at by Demon Tweeks, although I havnt received a response and it was only 11 days ago I emailed them.

Jake Bradley
20-07-2014, 05:13 AM
Have you got a miltek dealership near you? They should be able to offer advice on why it's happening.