PDA

View Full Version : A5 vs A6 (new)

collierd
20-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi

I'm in the process of getting a new Audi and I'm looking at either the A5 or A6.
Does anbody have a reasonable amount of experience with both?
Test driven, but that only gave me 20 or so minutes to see what they're like.
Personally preferred the A6 - again though, this was after 20 minutes.
I see a lot of negative reviews about the A5 and an increasing number of positives about the new A6. Do others share this assessment?

Thanks

aurora7
20-04-2012, 02:45 PM
They are very very different cars, at different stages of Audi's maturity cycle (the A6 is new) and the ranges cover lots of variants.

Can you be a bit more specific about which particular models in each range you are looking at?

collierd
20-04-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking

A6 - Saloon, 2.0TDi s-line; manual
A5 - Sportback, 2.0TDi s-line; manual

Although open to opinion if there's a better option here - Not 3.0 though

Thanks

aurora7
20-04-2012, 03:25 PM
There are others who can probably help you better then, as I tend to favour 3.0 SE automatics.

One thing that is probably worth thinking about is whether or not you care about frameless doors (and the extra road noise they can produce). Also whether you are excited by newer tech options (e.g. HUD, LED, night vision etc) which I don't think are available on the A5.

Andy G A6
20-04-2012, 03:33 PM
A5 or A6, not sure you can compare these two really an A5 is the A4's better looking sister but its still an A4 really.

Now the A6 is a whole different vehicle more space more refinement more everything, its not just a different shape its in a different class.

Not sure if that helps or not.

collierd
20-04-2012, 03:56 PM
It does help, thanks
I only ask as the price difference isn't that great
Whereas, there seems to be quite a difference when upped to an A7 or A8.

nealeb
21-04-2012, 06:51 AM
As implied in an earlier post, but maybe it should be more explicit - the new A6 is a noticeable improvement in many ways on its previous incarnation, while the A5, based on the A4, dates from that earlier era. I get the impression that Audi have learnt quite a lot at the detail level(*) that has gone into the new A6, as well as the more major things (like making it lighter and more fuel-efficient). The A6 is a lot of car for the money.

(*)with the exception of the phone connectivity!

shabazmo
21-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I know this is way of what you asked but, take a look at the nearly new A7's. The depreciation is great, yiou can get one for about £35K and it is a supperb car with great technology the looks as good the A5. Otherwise, go for the A6 on the basis of far superior technology.