PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf Mk3 tdi torque loss

steve barrack
01-08-2007, 04:29 PM
My car has done 340,000 miles (yes 340,000miles!!) on same engine. Perhaps I am expecting too much but am very fond of 'old faithfull'! Below 2000rpm the torque is not as good as it use to be and up hills it needs more gear work now. I've changed mass air meter and fuel shut off valve in last 18 months. I've just had a compression test, and whilst one cylinder fell below pressure specification, the garage didn't feel this would be reason for above. Turbocharger seems fine and still good top speed on flat + good mpg.

Anyone else had similar problems or any other thought?

Could it be injector pump or injector problems or pipe leak to/from turbocharger?

Thanks to 'you out there'.

steve barrack
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
:o

overboard
02-08-2007, 08:27 AM
At that sort of mileage it is certainly worth getting your injectors checked. They don't last forever and there should be a place in your area specializing in checking and reconditioning diesel injectors.

It would also be worth changing your fuel filter if that has not been changed for a fair time as a clogged filter can cause loss of power, although it is normally a sudden loss when it does occur. Also worth checking the air filter to see if that is clean.

steve barrack
02-08-2007, 02:43 PM
dear overboard,

Thanks for your help, I'll get injectors checked out. Cheers STEVE BARRACK