PDA

View Full Version : Polo 1.4 1997 instruments playing up

mikecarty51
16-04-2012, 12:24 PM
The instrument panel on my 1.4CL with 130k on the clock is playing up, albeit intermittently.
It starts with the speedo stopping, followed by the brake warning light flashing, then the oil light, then the tacho & finally the fuel gauge goes from full to empty depending on left or right hand bends. The next day all will work OK.
I'm assuming it's either an earth problem or maybe the whole cluster is on its way out.
Thinking of removing it & cleaning the electrical connections.
Does anyone know if there is a particular earth point for it & where.
All contributions welcome.
Many thanks

itavaltalainen
27-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Sounds like either your alternator is generating too high a voltage or what I rather believe is that the voltage regulator has blown. These are a 50p from conrad eletronics and if you can solder you can replace them. Unfortunately don't know which type is in there so you'll have to get it out first to check which type's used.
Worth trying before you replace the speedo, but would measure voltage with engine running if you are reading > 14.5V idle prob the regulator in your alternator has passed it's time.

mikecarty51
09-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for that info. Have only just seen it as have been away on hols. Will try & see what voltage is being generated. I had heard that when the instruments play up to put on lights, HRW, fan & anything else to soak up the volts. Will give that a try next time as well.