PDA

View Full Version : A4. 2.0TDI engine is shaking the car.

sk8853
16-04-2012, 10:50 AM
I Have an Audi A4 2.0 TDi (2005, 70k miles) Just noticed the engine has started to get very loud. If you sit in the car whilst the car is idle the engine starts shaking the car and You can feel the vibrations.

What could cause this to start happening? Any remedies?

Cheers
Sud

Aptuning
16-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I Have an Audi A4 2.0 TDi (2005, 70k miles) Just noticed the engine has started to get very loud. If you sit in the car whilst the car is idle the engine starts shaking the car and You can feel the vibrations.

What could cause this to start happening? Any remedies?

Cheers
Sud

I would firstly get the codes read to see if anything shows up. But it could possibly be an injector or a cam lifter! Obviously there are so many things it could be, but your not going to know anything until things are looked at indepth.

chrisvrscrx
16-04-2012, 07:04 PM
My guess it's the dual mass flywheel. When the car shakes like that it's normally the dmf. Its a common problem and an expensive one.

sk8853
17-04-2012, 05:18 PM
How expensive is expensive??
Just had a quick look at the part alone and that is around £300. What sort of time / fitting cost will that be?

If your changing this part, is it advisable to change other parts at the same time?

Cheers
Sud

zollaf
17-04-2012, 05:50 PM
before worrying about how much a dmf and clutch will cost you, i would worry about actually sussing out what is wrong. does it drive ok or still shake when driven. is it down on power, poor gear changes. anything else, any noises that might be relevant. as ap tuning said, a fault read would be a good starting point.

sk8853
18-04-2012, 09:57 AM
The car is fine when it gets going, there is no loss of power. The shaking only occurs when the car is idle. There is what can only be described as a rattling noise coming from the engine bay, but not been able to locate exactly where this is coming from. This noise stops when the car gets going. The gear change between first and second feels a bit rough, but the rest feel fine.

How easy is it to get the codes read myself? What equipment / software would I need and how much would it cost? Any sites/products you guys would recommend?

Cheers Guys
Sud

utensil999
18-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I'd post this in a4 section and also lots of posts on similar issues there.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Aptuning
18-04-2012, 02:13 PM
To read the codes yourself is quite easy if you have VCDS (vag-com). But it may be better to get a mobile mechanic that does diagnostics to come and see you. Or see if there is a a member on here who is in your area and has VCDS that wouldn't mind doing a diagnostics on your car for a few beer tokens.

chrisvrscrx
05-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Any update?