PDA

View Full Version : Please Help phone adapter on dash

spingrinder
13-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi , I have just purchased an a4 avant 2008. On the dash board a nokia cradle is fitted. Does anyone know how to remove it ? I have no use for it cause I will be using blutooth and it is a bit unsightly. The cradle is on the left side and has a wire going behind sound system and out again on right connecting to something nokia which is stuck to dash ( a small wheel , could be a type of volume?? really dont know) got to get it off !! any ideas ?? regards Paul

legendamongus
14-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Sounds like an aftermarket Nokia phone kit? I would have thought that it would be held on with adhesive, worst case is that the cradle is held on with bolts and so you'll be left with two holes on the dash... Give it a wiggle and see if there's any movement. If there is a bit, it's probably stuck on.

Begs the question though, what are you going to replace it with?

ScottyUK
14-04-2012, 07:26 PM
The normal car method of removing things is with dental floss but I don't know what that'd do to the trim. Fingers crossed there's no holes.

spingrinder
16-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies , I think I didnt ex[plain the question correctly, what I meant was , how do you get the wireing from behind the radio ? dont know how to get that out , is it plugged into anything behind dash? would I have to go to dealer? hope not! sorry bout that , regards Paul

ps dont think there are any holes , thank god!!

jakerade
17-04-2012, 07:05 AM
is it definitely a A4 B8 you have (big screen level with the instrument cluster) or an A4 B7 (normal looking radio below the centre vents) - just checking so can advise accordingly!

spingrinder
17-04-2012, 07:04 PM
thanks for the reply , yes my screen is the newer one , level with the instrument cluster

jakerade
17-04-2012, 08:23 PM
have a look at this

http://www.duncreggan.net/a4b8.html

the silver MMI trim just pulls away from the instrument cluster end with a bit of gentle persuasion

I would imagine the phone kit is wired to the back of the stereo - what bluetooth kit are you going to use instead as the early cars didnt have bluetooth as standard?

spingrinder
18-04-2012, 06:15 PM
thanks very much for the reply and the link which was very usefull. I dont know if I will go ahead with it , got to be honest it looks a bit frightening! knowing my luck i`ll break a bit of trim . Maybe i`ll ask a dealer (depending on price) or a friend in garage trade to see if they can do it.
Just tried in car to connect my iphone via bluetooth,all I kept finding was a nokia . The bracket and small control wheel are for a nokia which is wired in . Maybe I will have to just by an iphone adaptor for said bracket ? or try and uninstall the nokia , not sure car has bluetooth connectivity , but I did find the nokia with my iphone bluetooth, Im a bit baffled now!!

jakerade
18-04-2012, 06:27 PM
if your just getting "nokia" then the nokia kit is the bluetooth - Audi bluetooth was an option on early cars so I suspect yours didn't have it. If you press the tel button on MMI what does it say? If it says not installed then its exactly that.

You might be able to just unplug the cradle from car kit though i suspect it does nothing more than charge the nokia phone.

spingrinder
18-04-2012, 08:00 PM
It does say telephone not installed, gutted , thought it had bluetooth. Will probably have to go to dealer to take cable out. Any idea what my options are ? could I have a iphone cradle fitted to work with car? could it work with car ? So the Nokia has nothing to do with car ? It must be plugged in somewhere though! for it to be charged . confused !! sorry to be a pain.

jakerade
18-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Can you post a picture of it and the controller? Suspect its all part of the bluetooth kit. The controller certainly will be. Press button to answer calls etc

spingrinder
18-04-2012, 08:10 PM
just a thought , how can I find the nokia phone on bluetooth when there is no phone in car cradle ?

spingrinder
18-04-2012, 08:13 PM
so where would it be plugged into then? the radio?

jakerade
18-04-2012, 08:24 PM
I guess it mutes the radio and plays the sound through the speakers. Should be able to join your iphone to the nokia kit using 1234 or 0000 codes?

spingrinder
19-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi there , Just as you said , I paired my phone with the nokia system .It worked fine using the small nokie volume wheel with a button in the centre.Voume came through speakers. Still dont know for sure if there is bluetooth in car . Probably find out when I remove the nokia system. And if I have to , buy an iphone system. Dont really want a bracket , would be ideal if i could buy just the bluetooth to link to car. Do you know if I could purchase such an item?
regards Paul

legendamongus
19-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I would have thought that your car doesn't have bluetooth fitted then, as otherwise there is no reason to fit the nokia kit?

Pretty sure there is a way to retrofit the Audi bluetooth in anyway. Otherwise you could look at fitting a Parrot kit or similar or simply having a look to see if the bracket is removable so that you can continue to use your current Nokia system?

jakerade
19-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Retrofitting audi bluetooth is likely to be about £400

Someone has already done the hard work of working out all the connections so, as above, you could just replace with a parrot of something like this

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/car-solutions/car-kits/nokia-car-kit-ck-200

Alternatively just disconnect the cradle from the nokia control box and use it as is