PDA

View Full Version : Question Car Technology Ideas

theskyfox
12-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi Guys,
If you had the choice of changing/adding bits of tech to the B8..what would you add? Think of it like this...what do you feel is missing/not quite right? I don't work for Audi or anything don't worry, but I was just thinking it would be interesting to see a drivers perspective. I'll kick off...

-Digital Fuel Gauge - I've been in a Ford S-Max recently, and its got a digital fuel gauge. The A4 is still using an analogue one. Doesn't feel quite right on a £40k car...

-Front parking sensors - Again, Ford S-Max come with these as standard.

-Speed Limiter - Seen this on a few Pugs, you can pre-set a speed (e.g. in an Average Camera Zone) and it stops you from accidentally creeping over a pre-set speed until you choose to.

Andrew

kodkod.84
12-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Even the VW Crafter van I had for a weekend hire had a digital fuel gauge and front parking sensors. The rear ones were a series of lights in the side mirrors- a very smart van indeed.

Personally I hope they don't do away with the analog speedo/rev counter in the Audi's as I am not a fan of the solely digital display like in the Honda Civic.

Hippogriff
12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm the opposite, I say remove all the dials and replace them with digital readouts. The analogue dial speedometer in the B8 is simply nuts... and it's massive, a poor use of space. It has numbers on it that the car cannot even reach and it doesn't even have a marking for 30mph... which is kinda important in the UK.

I feel the rev. counter is absolutely pointless (for me)... I would happily not have it at all, I have never looked at it.

lozzermo
13-04-2012, 06:16 PM
The new A6 has a digital fuel and yep gauge. It also has a variable red line on the rev gauge which moves as the engine gets to optimal temp. I like that!!!

I think Audi should go for a TFT panel and digitise the instrument cluster. Jaguar and Mercedes have done this and it opens a world of possibility. You could have a traditional analogue view (rev counter/speedo) and change to a fully digital read out for B road fun!

jakerade
13-04-2012, 07:15 PM
how about a pad you can put you phone on in the centre console that boosts the signal through the roof aerial and has a USB connection you can charge your phone from....