PDA

View Full Version : Can 'broken' flip key be self repared?

pld118
12-04-2012, 06:58 AM
:confused:
One of my key fobs won't lock closed on the metal flip part of the key. It will lock when extended but as I say won't lock closed... Does anyone please know if/ how I can fix it?

markp306
12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
This doesn't sound like a B8 model.

The fob is the key, although there is an emergency key hidden inside the fob, which can be extracted if needed. Flip keys (where the key springs out from the side of the fob) were on earlier A4s, such as my previous B6 cabriolet.

legendamongus
12-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Might be worth opening it up and seeing if there is any damaged springs/latches etc. You can always pick up a cheap replacement off ebay or similar and swap over the parts you need.

Avoid dealers as they'll sting you for about £200 to supply and recode a new key, which seems daft if it's only a small, replaceable part that has failed. Worth a go anyway.

Guest 2
12-04-2012, 01:07 PM
This doesn't sound like a B8 model.

The fob is the key, although there is an emergency key hidden inside the fob, which can be extracted if needed. Flip keys (where the key springs out from the side of the fob) were on earlier A4s, such as my previous B6 cabriolet.

x2, doesn't sound like a b8 key to me as the b8's 'fob' just pushes into the dash.