PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a towbar!

kennyh
11-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi guys

I'm thinking of fitting a towbar to my A7 Quattro.

I've fitted loads of toward before, but they generally didn't need to have the bumper removed to fit it.

So, have you any tips on fitting the towbar (Westfalia removable), and dedicated electrics harness.

Also any tips on removing/replacing the rear bumper?

Cheers
Kenny

kennyh
26-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Well I see no-one responded. So I fitted it anyway.

Took me around 1/2 day to fit the towbar itself, and 1/2 a day to do the electrics ( which was trickier than I expected ).

All working fine and fitted with removal towbar for £370 all-in. Including coding at an independent Audi workshop (as my local dealer refused to do it).

Not bad considering a main dealer fit was circa £1200.

jbanfie
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi Kennyh

Could you list what parts you used and where you got them from please - I'm thinking of doing the same, but am not keen on dealer prices!!!

Some detail on the tricky bits would be much appreciated!

Regards

Jon

kennyh
04-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Let me gather my thoughts and I'll pull something together.

In fact send me a PM with your email and I'll respond that way.

Cheers
Kenny

Eshrules
04-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Could you not respond on thread so anyone else who comes here looking for an answer can find it ;)

kennyh
07-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Hi guys

I got my towbar and electrics from PF Jones.

Towbar is the Westfalia Removable hitch one ref:305400, and I purchased the Westfalia dedicated A7 electrics (specific kit for my car). But ensure you check out which towbar is suitable for YOUR car.

The towbar and electrics kit came with installation manuals, but they really didn't explain it enough.

Bottom line is that installation requires a fair amount of trim removal and fitting of the dedicated electrics requires it to be fitted by a competent individual. Do not tackle this if you are not competent / qualified.

Accessing the Audi repair and service manuals helps a lot. Have a look at http://erwin.audi.com

Once fitted the towbar module must be coded to the car at a dealers / service centre; I got an independent to do mine, who ended up speaking to Westfalia UK tech support - who were most helpful.