PDA

View Full Version : Question 2001 Polo 1.0L oil warning

Clydeuk
10-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi, my friend has this car, which has the 1.0L AUC engine (same as Lupo etc.). It has just done 100K miles. For a while now the oil warning lamp has started to come on at random, accompanied by the warning beep. She says it used to happen after driving at speed then taking a bend, though it seems to come on for no reason now. It is not always on, and does not come on at idle which I might have expected in a high mileage engine. At the moment the top end is noisy, I have new hydraulic tappets for that which has needed doing for a long time. Oil level has been checked and is fine.

Someone mentioned the pick-up strainer gets clogged on these engines. When time allows I will pull the sump and check this, but are there any common failures, like oil pump or even maybe the oil pressure switch itself? I thought it might be an oil level sensor, but it doesn't appear to have one.

Just wondering if there may be any common problems with this engine, or is it just worn? Is 100K a good mileage for this engine?

Thanks