PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest/Most cost effective way to Lower an A4 1.8T

sam.bird3
09-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I am Fitting my new 19" RS6 Wheels Tomorrow when i get the Tyres Fitted. Unfortunately the Tyre place isn't open today as its Bank Holiday :(

My worry is it is going to look like a Monster Truck as it has the Standard SE suspension, I have Maxed out my Savings on loads of Bits for the car so my Car fund money is a little tight right now and the Mrs won't let me break into our other Money on the Car :(

I want to drop the Suspension but can't really afford to be spending out on Adjustable shocks, so wanted to fit some Springs for now whilst the Car Fund builds up again, has anyone fitted these and what are your opinions?
I am not doing this as a Permanent Modification and is only going to be a temporary fix whilst i save up enough for proper Suspension. Are Springs really that Bad? or can they work for a few Months (Possibly 6) as an Aesthetic Mod rather than a Proper Mod.

Sam
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I take it you sailed through the MoT then :p

You can just fit lowering springs if you want, but the ride will be compromised - even more so now you've got rubber bands for tyres.

sam.bird3
10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
not been tested yet, the wheels were always going to be done prior to the MOT as the original wheels all needed new rubber anyway as they were all on, or below the limit so i can get the car tested now i have the new wheels on (Fingers crossed!!)

sam.bird3
24-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Car all MOT'd and just waiting to be lowered :D
It failed on the split CV Joint and that cost me £120 (inc MOT) So my springs are going on hold for a couple of weeks. Its my Birthday at the begining of June so may get the Mrs to pay for the springs as my Present :D

fourringsrus
24-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Sam , get the angle grinder out, sorted.

sam.bird3
25-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Sam , get the angle grinder out, sorted.

lol.

When i left School i was a Mechanic for about 4 Years, The young YTS boy had a Mk 1 Ford Fiesta, with XR2 Kit and massive 15 Inch wheels!! (hahahaha) He actually tried to lower it by Cutting the Springs as it was the "Cheap" Option.The funny thing is he messed it right up and it was lower on the OSF than it was on NSF lol, he had to buy new springs in the end anyway lol.