PDA

View Full Version : Dealer prep or using your own Deailer?

05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Just curious if anyone else on here has used their own detailer for the prep on their new car?

My supplying dealer will be leaving all delivery vinyl and protection on the car and my own detailer will be removing these for me as part of his prep on the car.
I'm currently investigating what product I wish to use on the car and am going to trial a couple on my other cars while I am waiting for delivery.

The prep will include
- removal of the delivery protection and a report on the paint and any defects.
- a thorough clean and decontamination of the paint.
- a single stage machine polish to ensure the paint is defect free.
- my choice of synthetic sealant applied to the wheels and paint.
- leather cleaned and protected.
- carpets cleaned and protected.

The dealer has been very accommodating and is happy to provide space for him to work too.

Any horror stories of dealer prep?

robbyg
05-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Interesting timing. I am planning do take my new one to an independent detailer too. I was going to let the dealer still do their prep anyway.

I cant see any horror stories being likely as its a new car - they are only going to let it out of the showroom in good condition....

I had my last car treated with gaurdx nano sealant by the dealer (haggled right down), must admit it has performed very well and still beads and shines like new at 20 months. Downside was the interior sealant smelled , and still smells now if the car is closed up for a few days.

I plan to either use nanolex paint sealant, or cheaper acrylic stuff, on the outside of the car only.

Just my view.
rob

chody
05-04-2012, 06:44 PM
they are only going to let it out of the showroom in good condition....

dont you believe it, i used to work at a vw dealer as a valeter and pointed out various defects on new cars only for the sales manager to say, put it out and we will deal with it IF they come back , this included a backly dented roof panel on a new golf that went out on a wet rainy day

Guest 2
05-04-2012, 06:48 PM
You may want to think again about letting the dealer do their 'prep'! Although I do think this is an extreme case of negligence!

Page 1 and 3 of this thread!

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/hurry-hurry-hurry-extra-special-brillo-pad-finish-free-of-charge.101920/

05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
If you look around enough, you will see some horror stories from dealers.

Here's another that was supposedly "untouched" http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=254624&highlight=dealer+prep

re: GuardX, it's not got the best rep. No offence, but I'll be amazed if it's still protecting the car after 20 months too. It's a very basic product that is sold at an obscene markup.

Nanolex has a much better rep. But if you are going to go to the length of getting that applied by a pro, why just increase the paint correction work needed by having a dealers valeter potentially cause marking?

I'm going to be experimenting with Wolfs Body Wrap and CCC's Ceramishield on my two cars. Both of them purport to offer 12+ months of protection, but if they last 6 I'll be happy.

05-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Another one to look at for the attention to detail that goes in... http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=245692&highlight=envy New RS5 prep.

Guest 2
05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm trawling the internet to see what each dealer calls a 'prep'. Seen a Corsa, A4 and a TTRS so far :)

05-04-2012, 08:12 PM
It's going to vary from a rinse and a wipe with a dirty leather (that's been dropped on the floor!) to a "valeter" giving it a go with some G101!

I'm not even going to let Audi fit the number plates to the car!

Brilliant example here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=257747&highlight=dealer

And another, http://www.miglior.co.uk/swissvax-portfolio/audi-a5-full-correction-on-a-brand-new-car/

JimC64
06-04-2012, 12:34 AM
In all honesty, If it were me buying new I reckon for sure I'd be paying a trusted detailer to do the prep work and receive the car in as NEW condition.

My dealer was always pretty good with me in every dealing we had, but, I ALWAYS told them that under no circumstances were they to wash my car......The first few times I even had a plain piece of A4 paper on the passenger seat marked in big black letetrs with permanent marker "PLEASE DO NOT WASH"

I saw one of their regular valters prepping a new car ready for collection, they were washing it and one of the guys dropped their "cloth" of some sort.....not microfibre....onto the ground. He picked it up and shook it off and continued as if nothing had happened. They also seemed behind the times and were using chamois leathers etc etc. Defintely no "2 bucket methods" employed here.
All this on a £30k - £40k brand new car.

Mine initially came with brid droppings etched into the paint and more than a few swirls and holgrams. I took it back and showed them in direct sunlight and demanded that they put it right, which they did.

The difference between valeters and detailers is light night and day.
Just to reiterate, for me, if you're buying a brand new car and spending serious £££££ on it.........another £300 - £500 for a "professional" to really treat the car andhand it to you in literally just outta the box condition...................go the detailer route

robbyg
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
re: GuardX, it's not got the best rep. No offence, but I'll be amazed if it's still protecting the car after 20 months too. It's a very basic product that is sold at an obscene markup.

Yes, i am surprised also, i have washed it using their stuff and then rinsed it using their stuff. The result has truly impressed me, yes even now at 20months. I bought two cars thatsame month, the other i autoglym sealed, its no where near as well protected now.

Based on the other stories i am now going to see if my detailer will charge any more to take it as received form the factory. You have got me worried!

07-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Tbh. A detailed should charge less for an untouched car. I'll be paying in the region of 250-300.