PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Golf MK3 TDI

Robert Munro
31-07-2007, 05:01 PM
My trusty old Golf MK3 TDI has covered over 150,000 miles without really any major problems, but there are two which have developed and my regular service mechanic does not really know how to get rid of them:-

I reckon the gear selector assembly either needs adjustment and/or an overhaul. Selecting first varies from being no problem one minute and at other times you would think the gear stick will just not go forwards into first. When this happens, the best trick seems to be to engage second then transfer through into first. Sometimes third and fifth can be a little awkward too, so the common factor seems to be selecting the gears where the gear stick is required to pushed forwards from the neutral position. I really do not think (and seriously hope ) it is a problem with the gearbox.
Normal idle speed is circa 900rpm and all sounds normal with the engine noise. If engine speed is raised by 100 or 200rpm to about 1100rpm either is neutral or as you are in drive, it sounds as if a bird (feathered variety) is chirping away under the bonnet. If the engine speed os raised above this, it goes away. Similarly if the engine speed is dropping towards idle speed, it will chirp away as it passes through the 1100rpm mark. The last time the timing belt and tensioner were renewed, I thought that would also cure the noise, but no difference at all. I am due to get another timing belt and tensioner change soon, so if anyone has any idea what it is (and I reckon it is something in or around the timing belt side of the engine), then perhaps I can kill two birds (literally!!) with the one stone.Other than that what a great little car it is still returning about 50mpg and done 120,000miles with a Van Aaken injector kit and "black box" fitted which increased the boring 90bhp to circa 115bhp and similar torque increase, which has been a great addition.