PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 S Line SE Avant, (2008) B7, Exhaust tail pipes black with soot, why?

holstenpills1
01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
1629516294 16293 Hi there, I would be ever so grateful if anyone could help me and maybe tell me why the tail pipes on my exhaust is black with soot, the car goes fine, its had 4 new fuel ijectors fitted by Audi a couple of months ago under a Audi recall, we have since noticed the car is better on fuel giving us more MPG, did not notice if the tail pipes were black before the new fuel injectors were fitted or it has happened afterwards, the car does go through its regeneration process as it should and we always try to make sure its get's to go through its process fully everytime, if anyone knows of what could be causing this I would really appreciate it, every other 2.0 TDI 170 with DPF i've seen has nice clean tail pipes, please see pictures I have uploaded of the actual tail pipes, thanx in advance for any info.

Guest 2
01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
My A6's pipes have been covered in soot for 3 years now (and probably before that) and it never bothered me until I found some Brasso in the cupboard the other day. Brings them up like new and shine in the sun.

I will take some pictures tomorrow.

I dont think theres an issue, just a long period of time not being cleaned properly I think.

Only start to panic when the DPF light comes on!

holstenpills1
01-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanx for that A6_Chris, it wasn't the reply I was looking for I don't think, the inner side of the tail pipes on any diesel car with DPF should be clean of any soot, there's clearly a fault somewhere, we've owned this car from it was almost new and have always made sure it get's to go through the regen fully always, the car is never been driven slowly but within the speed limits of course, its probably done 80% of its life on motorways, I don't think Brasso was the or is the answer, I will try giving Audi UK a phone call this week sometime, will update if there's any news.

MFGF
01-04-2012, 10:49 PM
My A6 has a DPF, and over time the exhaust tips can get quite black if left uncleaned. My previous A6 had no DPF and would get the tailpipes sooty far, far quicker though. I don't think there is anything wrong with your car, for what it's worth, but by all means get it checked if you're worried.

Cheers!

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

holstenpills1
02-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks MFGF, your respnse is much appreciated, like I mentioned in my thread, every other TDI with DPF i have noticed, few of them with higher mileage than our car, even my father's VW Passat 2.0 TDI Sport has a spotless tail pipe, this tells me that all is well on their car's, but not on mine, that's my view but thanks again.

MFGF
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Mine has chrome tips, and I usually take the time to clean them when I clean the car. If I forget a couple of times they can end up looking quite grotty. Yours seem to be non-standard oval tips (or is it just my eyes?) so maybe the design makes it easier for deposits to stick and makes the dirtiness more obvious than the standard round pipes? Just a thought.

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD