PDA

View Full Version : 95 Golf TDI Starting Problem Please Help

Millabit
01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to this and completely desperate, so any advice is appreciated. The problem has existed ever since I got the car 8 months ago, but has gotten progressively worse. The car starts without any problems, but immediately dies again. Initially, this would happen once or twice a week (I use the car daily), and it would then start without problems on the second try. Giving it a little throttle upon starting would help. This didnt' seem to be a major problem so I never bothered dealing with it (silly me).

The problem got progressively worse, to where it was taking 8-9 or more attempts to start in the morning. The problem appears to be temperature related, as it is generally easier to get the engine running in the afternoon when it's warmer (I live in Southern Spain). However, the problem has occurred even with a hot engine, after driving for half an hour or more.

We have changed the glow plugs and the temperature sensor on the cooling system. The indicator light for the glow plugs only comes on for a split second when I turn the ignition, so we thought this might be the problem. Disconnecting the temperature sensor leaves the indicator light on for longer, which is why we thought the sensor might be broken. But no luck. Diesel filter has also been changed in the last 6 weeks.

Yesterday morning I couldn't get it running at all, even after 30 or more attempts. My partner now thought that air might be trapped in the fuel system, and loosened a bolt on the right side of the engine component that sits to the right of the fuel filter south of the injectors (sorry, don't know the name, but it's a flattish part, about the size of my hand, witha top that lifts off. Couldn't get the screws holding the top down loose though). With the side bolt (valve?) loosened, I turned the engine over, thus bleeding air from the system, and it stayed running! So bleeding the air solved the problem, or so we thought - I was going to have the hoses checked over by a mechanic. But this morning loosening the bolt/valve didn't work either, and I still haven't been able to get it running. Same problem: engine starts no problem but immediately dies. NOthing works, not giving it throttle or bleeding the fuel system for air. My partner had a look in the fuel filter, and says he thinks no fuel is getting pumped through. If it's not air, could the system be clogged? Could the fuel pump be broken?

Perhaps related to this: sometimes upon shifting up in gear, the engine seems to hesitate a little before it starts accelerating again. And on two occasions, accelerating with a warm engine, the engine has sort of sputtered. No smoke or anything, the car just seems to give a little shake, then it behaves normally.

Sorry about the novel, just trying to describe the problem as accurately as possible. Any advice would be appreciated. If I can get the car running this afternoon I am taking it to my mechanic, but I would appreciate a third party opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Camilla

Millabit
01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry forgot to say that the car's done 160,000 miles, so it's no spring chicken.

thefoolmccool
05-06-2006, 11:00 PM
it sounds like you have removed all the diesel from the fuel filter and replaced it with air. To remedy this you must open the banjo bolt (large nut about 17 mm) on the top of the fuel pump. Then get someone else to turn the car over until there are no more bubbles in the clear fuel pipe going to the pump and while the engine is running, toghten the bolt up again. This could have been your problem in the first place. It happens when you run low on diesel. Let me know anyway. Nothing worse than a non-starter!!!!!!!!!!!

Millabit
06-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the reply - you are right, the problem is air in the fuel system, as it turns out that the seal in the connection of the fuel filter wasn't tight. Bleeding the air via the banjo bolt worked last Wednesday, but not on the next two days. I took it to the mechanic yesterday and he replaced the seal and checked over the rest of the system for leaks, and it started this morning, hurray! Now it remains to be seen if that was all it was...it's strange if that was the problem because I've been experiencing the problem for months, but had the fuel filter replaced (at a quick-fit place) about 6 weeks ago - you'd think the would have noticed if the seal was missing/faulty...Anyway, I am still wary, but it looks as though the problem might have been solved :nervous:, fingers crossed! Then I can start rebuilding my relationship of trust with my car. I'll keep you posted!

Millabit
19-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Just in case anyone has the same problem, I thought I would share the news: the problem has been identified! The fuel solenoid is sticking, thus not allowing fuel to circulate properly upon starting. I have bought a new solenoid, but haven't gotten around to replacing it yet (the old one is in VERY tight). However, giving the old solenoid a good whack with a wrench, gets it going no problem :D, at least until I can get someone to help me change it.