PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras in France

rizday
30-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi All

New A6 on order due to arrive a few days before I head to France on holiday (looking forward to both!)

Been reading about recent law changes in France http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/radar-detectors-in-france.html where GPS speed camera warnings are now illegal.

Does anyone know if the warnings can be disabled from the MMI?

Thanks!

ianfarnham
30-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I dont think there are any warnings to disable. The audi system (unlike TomTom and Garmin etc) has lots of built in waypoints such as garages, hotels, etc but no speed cameras. So you wont have a problem.

rizday
31-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I've ordered MMI Navigation plus - does that have no speed limit indication at all?

Timothy Nathan
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
It has speed limit indication, based on the GPS, but does not indicate speed cameras, a very different thing. You can also order a system which recognises speed signs, useful for temporary restrictions and recent changes (such as the A38 going through Birmingham City Centre, which has fairly recently been reduced to 30, but is still 40 or 50 in the GPS.)

rizday
01-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Ahh - thanks Timothy!

Makes sense though does beg the question can you upload speed camera positions?

MFGF
01-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Nope. There is no facility to add/update POIs, other than buying new maps from Audi if/when they are released. Your dealer will need to install them for you, but you will not get any map from Audi which has speed camera POIs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rizday
01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks MGF et al - I guess it's the usual frustrations that such an expensive option still lacks some basic functions from an £80 Tom Tom.

That said this is going to be such a huge upgrade from my 2009 A6 nav that just being able to pan around the map and use full postcodes will feel like an enormous upgrade!

Timothy Nathan
01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Also, my Google Maps keeps stopping (or failing to start.)

ianfarnham
01-04-2012, 09:08 PM
For me the ability to use full postcodes is a great advance (sounds a bit pathetic really given that regular sub £100 devices have been doing this for years) and agree that the panning mode is a bit pedestrian.

nictry
04-05-2012, 07:58 AM
If it makes you feel better TomTom has removed all the speed camera warnings for France, is happens as soon as you plug the unit in to update it. So at least you know you aren't missing anything on the inbuilt system in France :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timothy Nathan
04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
The A4, one of the busiest roads in Europe, bypasses Rheims on a road that opened in Nov 2010 and that road has not yet made it to the Audi database. Pathetic. Particularly when you think what we paying for updates.

rizday
05-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure how the updates are supposed to work. I've not signed up for anything specific - should I have?

Do the updates come over the air now the car is internet connected?

MFGF
05-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure how the updates are supposed to work. I've not signed up for anything specific - should I have?

Do the updates come over the air now the car is internet connected?

Nope. If you want map updates you have to buy them from an Audi dealer (on SD card) and get the dealer to install and register with the license key. There are no map updates for MMI 3G+ yet as far as I know.

MF.

robbyg
05-05-2012, 11:07 AM
upgrade price?

MFGF
05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
If the price is in line with MMI 3G updates, then around the £200 ballpark I think. Your dealer should be able to give you a price, hopefully.

MF.