PDA

View Full Version : Juddering MMI screen

aurora7
30-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Like many A7/new A6 owners on here, I have an MMI screen that judders when it is retracted into the dash.

It took Audi a long time to acknowledge the problem (bizarre, since I noticed it on every loan A7/A6 I drove late last year as well) but they finally did, and promised a fix in the Feb/March timeframe.

Has anyone heard any more about the fix or had it implemented yet? It all seems to have gone a bit quiet (the news on the fix, not the juddering MMI screen!)

a8 tech
31-03-2012, 02:46 PM
new mechanism same fault with d4 a8, have fitted a few all fine after replacement

shabazmo
31-03-2012, 08:08 PM
When I took my car in for its first service and mentioned the judder to Basingstoke Audi. They replace it without question or hesitation. I could not believe the "no problem sir we will get that fixed" attitude. Well done them.

aurora7
31-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I should have been a little clearer in my original post. When I said "Audi" were slow to acknowledge the problem I was referring to Audi UK (or whoever the central body is that local garages have to log faults with). Basingstoke Audi have been exemplary, and have worked tirelessly to address an endless set of noise/vibration issues on my car. They deserve a medal for patience (although frankly, given the number of problems I have had with the car, so do I).

Despite the number of people complaining about the judder, Audi UK initially claimed not to have heard of it, and then took their time in agreeing that there was a problem with the MMI mechanism (not the screen itself) and it is this mechanism that was due a fix during Feb/Mar; sounds like it has now been released from what A8tech says.

I know a few people had their screens replaced and this usually fixed the problem only for a short while, so I held off having that done as I was convinced it was a problem with the mechanism not the screen.

Has anyone else with a juddering MMI screen had the mechanism fixed recently (not just the screen replaced)?

Thanks.

Architex_mA8tey
12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Mine has been replaced once and taken out and put back in once and then "lubricated with special Audi lubricant" which sounds like they greased the mechanism to me lol
they told me they were working on a replacement mechanism solution in Germany which would be ready "late Jan or Early Feb". As it happens my car went in for a service today and I asked what has happened with this issue and was told that after the tech had been talking to germany about this is is STILL not finally resolved and that a permanent solution is being urgently sought.
Just not urgently enough if you ask me! I should get notification as soon as they hear from Audi in Germany and will post here when I hear.

My paperwork says "Checked with Audi technical. Still no modification available for MMI mechanism.

By the way they also checked a recall for the "alternator power lead - ref 97X4" under warranty and reported all was OK with my car

a8 tech
30-05-2012, 09:51 PM
modified carrier and software update repair has just been released for this problem

Q7quattro
13-05-2015, 09:49 PM
modified carrier and software update repair has just been released for this problem

Is there a audi recall / referance number for this - so I can quote it to my Audi dealer.

jcdub
13-09-2015, 02:17 PM
My screen does this from time to time but the car is outside warranty since May. Is the screen hard to remove so I can lubricate the runners?

Q7quattro
07-02-2016, 03:38 PM

May any I have the details for the modified carrier and software update , my car is going into a main dealer on Tuesday for the juddering screen and would like to give them the details .

thx

jcdub
07-02-2016, 04:53 PM
I was only looking at mine yesterday. I removed the unit to see what I could do if anything. The runners and guides are all well lubed. Everything looks to be working as normal. The only thing I noticed was that there are 2 spring dampers for the cord controlling the opening and closing of the screen. One of them felt weaker than the other, which could be the cause of the vibration...
Anyone know the cost of the repair for a car outside warranty (2012) ? Or if the software update alone would fix it..
If the speed of the mmi screen retracting was increased this would also solve the vibration issue

Q7quattro
07-02-2016, 05:02 PM
I was only looking at mine yesterday. I removed the unit to see what I could do if anything. The runners and guides are all well lubed. Everything looks to be working as normal. The only thing I noticed was that there are 2 spring dampers for the cord controlling the opening and closing of the screen. One of them felt weaker than the other, which could be the cause of the vibration...
Anyone know the cost of the repair for a car outside warranty (2012) ? Or if the software update alone would fix it..
If the speed of the mmi screen retracting was increased this would also solve the vibration issue

Luckily my car is still under warranty, I will list the details of the "fix" when I get the car back - details should be on the print out I will be given from the dealer, if not- I will ask what was done and how long it took - that way we might be able to have an educated guess at the cost.

Will post details for you soonest

jcdub
07-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that. I'd be interested in the updated carriage part number if possible and what the software update does :)
Cheers

Q7quattro
09-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks for that. I'd be interested in the updated carriage part number if possible and what the software update does :)
Cheers

No details of part /software update yet - car will be ready tomorrow .

will take 3hrs labour to fit it

Q7quattro
12-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Sorry for late response.

i can confirm according to the invoice

- 3hrs labour to complete the job.

- no part number on the invoice (i did ask the dealer for the part number -but couldn't he give it to me)

- told by dealer that "no software update was required" (initially told it would require an update)

since having work done the screen retracts perfectly - well worth getting the problem rectified.

hope this helps

stefanflorin
21-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Hello everybody,

I also own an A6 C7 2012 (outside guarantee) and the MMI screen is juddering and creaking when retracting.
Yesterday I fixed it by myself and I want to share it with you.
I'm not sure if it will last forever, but we'll see.

So, the fix was relatively easy, taking around 2 hours because it was the first time when I removed trims on such expensive car.
The tools used were just some plastic levers for trims removal.
The solution is to gently grease with WD-40 all-purpose lubricant.

To see what you need to remove, search YouTube for "Audi A6 head unit LCD monitor disassemble" and you will find a 8 min video.
Attention, it's not necessary to disassemble the AC and the MMI unit itself, but just the following:
- the grey trim above the screen
- the 4 screws
- the airvent trim
Then take out the airvent and take out the cables carefully.

Now the fix:
Slide out the screen mechanism.
Disconnect the cables with care.
Remove the dust & dirt from the black T-shape sliding guide.
Gently grease with WD-40 all-purpose lubricant the following:
- the black T-shape sliding guide
- the sliding carrier that drive the screen
- all the cord channels
- all the bearings
- the two T-shape sliding guides on the left & right screen sides (placed inside the plastic cover)
That's all.
Don't use WD-40 in excess because it will leak.

Now connect back all the wires and press the screen show/hide button several times to release / retract the screen. You will see visible improvements after a few movements.
The lubricant will continue to work also after that.

I'm attaching two pictures I've make during the process.

I hope this will help you to save some money on an expensive replacement part.

Cheers!
Stefan

M1tchy
21-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Well done, good fix and glad it worked.

Personally I wouldn't use WD40 as it can leak, and it has a strong smell. I would use a silicone grease which is probably what was used in the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcdub
21-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Silicone grease is exactly what I used but I lubed the 2 side runners of the screen.

stefanflorin
21-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Yes, WD40 could leak. That's why I suggested to apply carefully :)
As regarding the smell, it is not feeling so much and it will dissappear in a few days.
The reason I used it is because it has a very powerful penetration, thinking that it will leak and grease in places where I cannot reach.

I'll post here if I'll see any problems after a while.

If other users used other greases, please post here the experience / results.

Cheers!

Edit 26.08.2016:
Already one week after fixing: the screen run smooth and quiet since then. :)
No problem at all, excepting one small leak witch was cleaned easily. As I mentioned, don't apply too much WD40, as it can leak.

Edit 12.09.2016:
more than 3 weeks after fixing: the screen still run smooth and quiet. I'm more than happy. http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smile.png
I'm almost sure that the problem was only about dirt and not a real mechanical issue.
I'll get back here with info just in case the problem appear again.

Q7quattro
30-08-2016, 01:09 PM
as you can see in my previous post my screen mechanism was replaced under warranty in March earlier this year (no software update required according to main dealer )

beginning of August it started to vibrate /judder again - contacted local main dealer , booked in (still under warranty ) - just got it back and the dealer updated the software to 0900 -the latest version I believe.

i asked the dealer about the software update , reply "the update changes the speed of the screen retraction , ie it slows down the speed when the screen retracts"

cheers