PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lights On - Car Locked, Lights Off, Keys Not in Ignition!!!

Mike2.0TQ
29-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi All,

Got up this morning and went downstairs and could see a red glow through the front door - I assumed this was just a nice sunrise.

However, when I left for work I found that it wasn't in fact the sun rising but my brake lights on the car, very odd as it had been parked on the drive overnight with the lights off, the keys out of the ignition and the doors locked!!!

I checked the car and took off the handbrake and re-applied and they went out? Not sure how this is possible?

I was warned of Audi electrical gremlins before buying the car but went ahead anyway, I have already had to replace the Consumer ECU and 1 Key due to them, I hope this isn't another one!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.

RMH1
29-03-2012, 01:24 PM
My guess it's the brake light switch on top of the pedal. Less than £10 from a dealer.

foxylad
29-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Yep sounds like the sensor/switch to me. The brake lights will still come on if you press the pedal even when the keys are out of the ignition.

Mike2.0TQ
29-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok, many thanks all! I need to drive to Bournemouth from London this weekend so wont be able to get it fixed beforehand, is it a dangerous problem, ie: should I not drive it at all?

Mike.

foxylad
29-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I would have thought it would be more likely that your brake lights would be on when they shouldn't rather than not be on when they should, if that makes sense. But to be honest both scenarios are dangerous imo. It may be worth getting someone to stand behind the car and you wiggle the pedal to see if they flash.