PDA

View Full Version : Car broken into - No forced entry!

gstewar1
28-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my wife’s car being broken into.

The car is a 60 plate Audi TTR and was new when we got it so no one else should have a key kicking about.

On Monday morning I had to transfer some things from my car to the TT and popped the boot using the key button as normal. The indicator lights flashed but I didn’t see the boot release however, I lifted the lid put the things in and closed it. Now normally the lights flash to tell me it is secure but on this occasion it didn’t and it was at this point I noticed the passenger door was not closed properly – it was just closed over and hadn’t even caught the first latch. Then to my horror the driver’s door was the exact same.

What is concerning me is that I know for a fact that the car was locked (I walk the dog at night and double check that both cars are locked before I go back into the flat).

The problem I have is that there no sign of forced entry to the car just the doors sitting open. There were items taken from the glove box (Sat Nav and Sunglasses) which I can live with but unfortunately my wife had her last day at her work on Friday and hadn’t emptied the boot and some of her personal Dental Equipment was taken.

I have been on the phone to the home insurance as the dental stuff is covered under that but they have declined the claim as I have to prove how they got into the car without the keys or failing that prove the car was definitely locked.* I have contacted the police who have given me a Crime Reference Number but that’s all.

Any one have any ideas????

Many Thanks

Crasher
28-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Sounds like this issue

Customer statement / workshop findings

The boot lid unlocks automatically after locking a door. No entries are logged.

Technical background

The power system control unit J519 (address code 09) is coded to "boot lid with soft touch".

Production change

Coding changed

Measure

With the self-diagnosis change in the power system control unit J519 (address code 09) the code of byte 2, bit 0 from 0 to 1(illustration).

Talk to your Audi dealer about TPI (Tecnical product Information)Transaction No.: 2022974/1 Boot lid unlocks itself - TT Release date: 09-Mar-2010

NickPicks
28-03-2012, 03:57 PM
If you checked that the car was definitely locked when you walked the dog, then the insurance company should take that as proof that it was locked. You don't know whether the thieves had sophisticated lock cracking equipment, fished your keys out of the house and then put them back, or what.

You can state that you're certain it was locked, and things were stolen.

If things were stolen from your house, would they make you prove that the house was locked? What standard of proof would they require?

Piddles
28-03-2012, 04:30 PM
The key fob on the wife's Alfa has a habit of openning her car when it gets wedged against something in her handbag. Not only that, but if that fob button gets pressed long enough, it opens the windows as well, advertising that's now unlocked......

NickPicks
29-03-2012, 10:26 AM
The key fob on the wife's Alfa has a habit of openning her car when it gets wedged against something in her handbag. Not only that, but if that fob button gets pressed long enough, it opens the windows as well, advertising that's now unlocked......

The A6 does that, but if you then don't open the door, it re locks itself, but doesn't wind the windows back up!

gstewar1
31-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Crasher - That is actually quite concerning but the whole car was gone through, not just the boot and as far as I am aware there is no way of opening the rest of the car from the boot. However, the car is going into Audi to have the keys re-programmed so I will certainly be asking them about it then.

NickPicks - Tell me about it. I have told them this and asked what proof they could possibly want to which they replied a report from the police saying that car was cracked MAY help. I was getting extremely irritated by this point as I have never had to make a claim on the insurance and as soon as you try they do a runner. I have also explained that the car is a roadster so you cant get to the boot through the car or by using a button on the boot lid as there isn't one but that didn't help either. I am now waiting on the police contacting me to see if they can do something to satisfy John Lewis Insurance but I am not getting my hopes up.

Piddles - I never thought of that but I did try and it re-locked after 30 secs or so if the car wasn't opened. The windows didn't go down either.

Many Thanks for all your suggestions - I have a feeling this is going to have to go down as one of life's lessons, however not with out a fight! Next stop Ombudsman! :aargh4:

Michaelbelfast
14-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my wife’s car being broken into.

The car is a 60 plate Audi TTR and was new when we got it so no one else should have a key kicking about.

On Monday morning I had to transfer some things from my car to the TT and popped the boot using the key button as normal. The indicator lights flashed but I didn’t see the boot release however, I lifted the lid put the things in and closed it. Now normally the lights flash to tell me it is secure but on this occasion it didn’t and it was at this point I noticed the passenger door was not closed properly – it was just closed over and hadn’t even caught the first latch. Then to my horror the driver’s door was the exact same.

What is concerning me is that I know for a fact that the car was locked (I walk the dog at night and double check that both cars are locked before I go back into the flat).

The problem I have is that there no sign of forced entry to the car just the doors sitting open. There were items taken from the glove box (Sat Nav and Sunglasses) which I can live with but unfortunately my wife had her last day at her work on Friday and hadn’t emptied the boot and some of her personal Dental Equipment was taken.

I have been on the phone to the home insurance as the dental stuff is covered under that but they have declined the claim as I have to prove how they got into the car without the keys or failing that prove the car was definitely locked.* I have contacted the police who have given me a Crime Reference Number but that’s all.

Any one have any ideas????

Many Thanks

My S5 Cabriolet was broken into also last night with no forced Entry . Keys were taken and car randsacked .
Same as you police pretty useless and for audi similiar

Sam
14-10-2013, 02:52 PM
My S5 Cabriolet was broken into also last night with no forced Entry . Keys were taken and car randsacked .
Same as you police pretty useless and for audi similiar

If the keys were taken, is it still classed as a break in?

Where were the keys when they were taken?

Michaelbelfast
14-10-2013, 03:06 PM
If the keys were taken, is it still classed as a break in?

Where were the keys when they were taken?

They were office keys but not car key sorry should have said . My car key was in my apartment .
I know 100% my car was locked when i left it before going to my apartment .
I am very concerned with The General safety of my car at present .

Sam
14-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Might be worth mentioning the info in Crasher's post to both the Police and your Audi dealership.

Welcome to VWAF too ;)

Michaelbelfast
14-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Might be worth mentioning the info in Crasher's post to both the Police and your Audi dealership.

Welcome to VWAF too ;)

Will do .... Thanks be interested to here more stories with regards to same as mines . Seen a write up in sunday
times a few weeks ago with alot RS4 and RS6s stolen this way . My car turned 3 last week and decided to keep another 6 months think will move it on now ....Shame as i love the car .
Thanks For welcome could be a short visit lol

Crasher
14-10-2013, 06:19 PM
BMW are far far worse, going missing in their dozens due to a security flaw.

Guest 2
14-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Happening to keyless Audi's too :(

Keyless entry - Gone in 90 seconds (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?150305-Keyless-entry-Gone-in-90-seconds&highlight=gone+seconds)

Aautolocksmith
29-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I'll give you guys a bit of an insight to these cars and how they work.

These VAG locks are quite easy to open in fairness not a flaw by the makers, just the tools available means with a few days practice you can crack these open, but as a general the alarm on Volkswagens are quite loud and the alarms on Audi's are useless normally get hazards flashing. From 2008 onwards security is quite good on these keys so in terms of getting in maybe easy but actually making a key and driving a way that's a different story.

Going back to the first post if the door lock (drivers side) was lock picked then only one door would be open which is the door with the keyhole the other door would be deadlock which means it wouldn't open. If both doors were open then I think the vehicle was left open or someone has another key to open it. e.g. if you lock the vehicle with remote, open vehicle with key, only 1 door will open, the button inside the car to open and close the doors will not be active till you turn ignition on then you can hit that button.

Volkswagen locksmith (http://www.aautolocksmith.co.uk/spare-car-key/volkswagen-replacement-key)