PDA

View Full Version : Question Number plate change

G8AMB
27-03-2012, 12:48 PM
This is probably a very silly question. But here goes.

How easy is it to change the number plates? If I remove the screws will a nut fall into the bumper/boot somewhere. Or do the screws simply screw into threaded sections on the boot/bumper.

Many Thanks

dts439
27-03-2012, 04:51 PM
If the plate is held on by screws its either self tappers into the plastic or if you are lucky into the prepared holes.

On our Avant the front plate is stuck on and the rear is held on by screws.

But no danger of losing a nut I would say

trioptics130
27-03-2012, 06:17 PM
both my plates were held on with sticky tape and the plate cradles held on with m6 bolts into captive nuts and no they dont fall off:D

mhurer
27-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Just changed mine. Fronts were held on with 2 simple screws and a bit of double-sided sticky tape, and the back just two simple screws.

manamal
05-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Number plate tape from Halfords does a fine job of holding it in place and is also a little forgiving for release when initially fitting and lining up costs around £6. I fitted my cherished plate last week no issues

legendamongus
06-04-2012, 01:05 AM
As said, you won't lose a nut. There are preprepared holes that are usually used, or self tappers which go into the plastic. Mine were stuck on with tape as well so you might need to give it a good pull as well.

I find that B&Q foam tape is quite good at sticking numberplates on. Incredibly strong and pretty cheap as well.

theskyfox
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Two things I'd mention....

First, have you considered a number plate surround? They make it easier to do things like this. The surround itself is screwed onto the car, and the plates just drop/clip in. Means if you do get a private plate etc its easy to put in.

Secondly...I'll have a mini-rant. On the back/front of the car there are pre-factory created holes for the number plate screws to go into. Why is it that every damn time I get an Audi, the dealers always end up drilling into the bodywork and creating two new (and completely unnecessary) holes instead?? I can only think its laziness on the part of the technician who cannot be bothered to work out where to drill the hole in the plates!

-Andrew

ru55
06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
When my A4 was delivered the garage advised me that they preferred to put a couple of screws at the edge of the from number plate as well as using the tape. Why - there is a slight curve in the front and it means the plate didn't stick out at the sides. Fair enough but why can't they use screws that do not rust over time and spoil the look of the white plate!:confused: My rant over!