PDA

View Full Version : Outer Tyre Wear on both rear tyres

djsoftware
23-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Was just checking the tyre pressures on the rear of my 2002 passat rear estate and noticed that about an inch and half of both rear tyres has worn smooth on the outer edges. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this ?

I was planning to take the car for a wheel alignment check before getting new tyres fitted but thought it was odd that the tyre wear was the same on both rear tyres (fronts are fine). Incidentally the rears are Pirelli P5s.

Sam
23-03-2012, 05:07 PM
If it's just normal wear then there's too much positive camber.

If it's cupped then it could be a suspension issue.

An alignment will (usually) sort it if it's the former ;)

caldirun
23-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Its a beam axle so no adjustment, its either distorted due to collision or you need to replace the rear pivot bushes or wheel bearings.

djsoftware
25-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the replies - A touran did roll into the back of me but that was over a year ago, only the bumper was replaced, I would have expected to have seen issues before now. What I don't understand is if it is the wheel bearings or rear pivot bushes why would both go at the same time ?

I was going to start with getting a wheel alignment but would this highlight the above issues ?

Sam
26-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Its a beam axle so no adjustment, its either distorted due to collision or you need to replace the rear pivot bushes or wheel bearings.

Completely missed the fact it was the rear axle - well spotted :)

djsoftware
26-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Had the wheel alignments done and it turned out that the front wheels were worse than the rears, the rears were only slightly out so not entirely sure why they were so worn. So now everything has been adjusted and a nice new set of tyres now fitted. Hopefully that is the end of it.