PDA

View Full Version : continental sport contact 5 tyres

db123
23-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Word of warning! After 25k miles I've just replaced all 4 original Continental sport contact 3 tyres (contiseal type) with sport contact 5's on a sport estate and the ride has gone from firm but acceptable to pretty uncomfortable, also road noise has increased a lot. Not recommended, stick with the original type if possible. These tyres are claimed to last longer, I will try and disprove this so I can replace as soon as possible. So much for progress.

tr8
30-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info
got to change mine next week, my fronts only lasted 18k and put same back on, rears now due.

D4D
08-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I've had a set of the sport contact 5's put on the front, the guy at the tyre depot said they SC 3's were going to be phased out over the coming months. He said he could still get them at the moment but he would have to order them in.

I called a couple of other tyre dealers to be told roughly the same thing. I went and had the SC 5's fitted and tbh they aren't "that" bad, I can tell from the tpms that they do heat up a lot quicker than the SC 3 and therefore run harder quicker, could this be the cause of your harsh ride ? try letting 3/4 psi out of them and see what happens.

sj_4x4
04-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Dragging this up, just turned 30k and am in need of some new rubber, anyone having issues with the Sport Contact 5's or got any recommendations ?

db123
04-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I've done 19k on these and they're definitely noisier than the original SC3, and don't wear any better than SC3's, also the rears are showing signs of saw tooth wear on the insides after less than 15k (see B6 forum). I've since replaced them with SC3's as they're still widely available.

sj_4x4
05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for that, the SC3's are bad enough so SC5's are out !

rapport25
06-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Dragging this up, just turned 30k and am in need of some new rubber, anyone having issues with the Sport Contact 5's or got any recommendations ?

I have Pirelli p zero rosso's fitted to my Sport and they are great. Never had the Conti's so cant comment.

Rosscow
01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Interesting, I have the 5's on my 2006 Audi A6 SE and don't have any issues.

I do run 17" rims with my adjustable air suspension on 'comfort' though.

MikeM46
04-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Any useful info here?

2012 EVO Summer Tyre Test | the online tyre guide (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-EVO-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm)

sj_4x4
07-11-2012, 03:04 PM
The SC3's are not the predecessor to the SC5, they are the "heavy duty" version of the SC tyre, my OEM set lasted just under 40k miles which I was pleased with, and I never had any traction issues, so I replaced them like for like.

From the factory they are fitted with a self healing sticky goo that I found out about after I purchased standard SC3's, tho the goo less ones save £40 odd quid a tyre.

Europa25
02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Has anyone tried Michelin Primacy 3s on a B7 ?

I had Michelin Primacy HP's on my B6, and found them not only very quiet but very surefooted too.

sj_4x4
09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Just dragging this up from the depths as I need a new set of tyres and now definitely can't get the SC3's anymore, how are people getting on with SC5's are they really that noisy ?

Rosscow
09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I have a full set of SC5's and have just changed over to my Nokian winters, can't say I've noticed any difference in noise.

I need a new pair on the front when I swap back and will put the SC5's on again without any hesitation.

In fairness I've not known anything else.

And I also run 17" rims on air suspension - may make quite an impact with regards road noise compared to an S-Line running 18" rims.

sj_4x4
10-12-2013, 11:00 AM
I have a full set of SC5's and have just changed over to my Nokian winters, can't say I've noticed any difference in noise.

Thanks for the reply, I think if you don't notice any difference in noise when switching to the more open tread pattern of a winter tyre then the SC5's must be very noisy indeed !

Rosscow
10-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reply, I think if you don't notice any difference in noise when switching to the more open tread pattern of a winter tyre then the SC5's must be very noisy indeed !

Well I can honestly say (coming from a Nissan X-Trail with Goodyear Wranglers) that road noise has never been an issue for me.

The car is super smooth and very comfortable to drive! Maybe I should try some new tyres? Which tyres are known to be particularly quiet?