PDA

View Full Version : Ride quality

DR_A6
22-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Hi,

After a little bit of advice. I have a new avant on order (3.0 Multi) and cant decide between larger wheels (20" probably) on an SE or smaller 18" wheels on an S Line suspension.

I recently sold a 2.7tdi A6 lemans which had 19" wheels and sport suspension which i found a little rough some of the time but ok normally.

My current rationale is that smaller wheels with stiffer suspension means less bumps from rough roads but still relatively flat through the corners. 20" on an SE would be a bit rougher and i imagine more list through corners and i cant stretch to air suspension with the other options i have really.

I have done a few test drives but its only after a few hours driving or knackered coming home from work when it makes a noticeable difference.

Great to get any other thoughts

PTJM

ninjabob
23-03-2012, 12:56 AM
It was with trepidation that I recently took delivery of my new S Line with 18inch wheels as I had come from a Mercedes C220 CDi Sport that I had to replace because of its painfully hard ride. I had had test drives in the S Line but was still worried that it might be equally "Go Kart" like. It is nothing of the sort - having a very nice ride whilst still being sporty. The 20inch wheels look wonderful and you might get away with them on an S line in combination with Air Suspension. The SE starts off with 17inch wheels so I think 20inch wheels might well ruin the ride.

The S Line comes with suspension lowered by 20mm (30mm is an option) and I have read that the new AUDI A6 S Line models have been designed with less stiff suspension than their predecessors.

robbyg
23-03-2012, 04:27 PM
ptjm
i drove an Sline on 19s about 2 weeks ago straight after the same on adaptive air suspension. (detailed review elsewhere in the c7 forum).

I am fussy about over hard ride, the standard sline on 19s was really good. It was by no means uncomfortable and i would be happy if my car was like that. The ride itself was good, the only down side was the effect of minor surface undulations like drains or expansion joint which you could feel much more through the car. It was by no mean disturbing or annoying. It was much better than my current Volvo xc60se ride, and that is the soft version of the volvo.

Personally i have ordered the air suspension and 18s. I want the quietness of the 18s though prefer the look of the 19s. Air gives me best of both worlds. I would much prefer to spend on air susp than on 20" wheels, but each to their own.

Goatistuta
24-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Ive recently replaced a 2009 S-line LeMans that had 19" wheels with a new S-line that has 18" wheels as standard. There's no comparison whatsoever as the new car is so much more comfortable over all surfaces, with a big improvement in the level of road noise.