PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Door Miirror

ninjabob
22-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I have the S line with Heated/Retractable Mirrors option. In the manual it mentions that when the gear position is in reverse the passenger mirror can be set to tilt downwards so to aid parking. I cannot for the life of me work out how to achieve this. Maybe it is only abvailable if you have the Advanced Key Option?

BigAid
22-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Leave the mirror adjustment selector on the passenger side mirror - drop it into reverse and the mirror will auto adjust - drop into gear and it will change back

Timothy Nathan
22-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Perhaps I can elaborate...

Effectively the mirrors have two memorised positions, one for forward driving, one for reverse. If the switch is in the position for the appropriate mirror, then the mirror adjusted in neutral/park or forward gear, that setting will be remembered.

If you then put the car into reverse and set the mirror, that position will be remembered for when you are in reverse.

The memorised positions will then be adopted as you go into and out of reverse, but only if the switch is on the appropriate mirror.

KAM
22-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Wow, thumbs up for that little trick :)
I didn't even know it was possible, and I thought I was a handbook nerd!
Must experiment with that later.

nealeb
22-03-2012, 06:41 PM
...but remember that unless you switch back to the centre position (neither mirror selected) then the mirror heating is disabled. My word, these cars are difficult to drive!

Timothy Nathan
22-03-2012, 06:44 PM
But who needs mirrors if you have cameras? :p

nealeb
22-03-2012, 07:09 PM
OK, OK - we all know that you have gadgets that mean that you don't even need to look out the windows yourself:)

Timothy Nathan
22-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I didn't order windows. Are they any good?

Piddles
22-03-2012, 07:45 PM
gadgets that mean that you don't even need to look out the windows yourself:)

It's not too far away (http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-01/road-train-tech-takes-successful-test-drive)

Can't wait myself....

ninjabob
22-03-2012, 08:55 PM
HMMM thanks guys - doesn't work however - must be part of a package. Bit naff really - I have had much cheaper cars that do this.

Timothy Nathan
22-03-2012, 09:26 PM
HMMM thanks guys - doesn't work however - must be part of a package.
I don't think so. Looking in the manual (p49, RH col) it seems that the function is built into the basic car, without any options. I have the cheapest possible folding mirrors (which are also heated, though I wasn't bothered about that) and they do it.

If you sit in the car, engine running, in reverse, with the selector to the pax mirror, then drop the mirror to look at the rear tyre, then go into D (or a forward gear), does the mirror stay pointed at the tyre?

If it does, I suggest that you have a fault.

BigAid
22-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I didn't think you could select a specific position to be remembered in reverse

- I thought it was just a standard drop of the passenger mirror from wherever you had set it too in the drive position.

Will have a play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timothy Nathan
22-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I didn't think you could select a specific position to be remembered in reverse

- I thought it was just a standard drop of the passenger mirror from wherever you had set it too in the drive position.
Ah, well maybe that bit is part of an option, as mine is definitely variable.

ninjabob
23-03-2012, 12:17 AM
I don't think so. Looking in the manual (p49, RH col) it seems that the function is built into the basic car, without any options. I have the cheapest possible folding mirrors (which are also heated, though I wasn't bothered about that) and they do it.

If you sit in the car, engine running, in reverse, with the selector to the pax mirror, then drop the mirror to look at the rear tyre, then go into D (or a forward gear), does the mirror stay pointed at the tyre?

Yes unfortunately it stays pointed at the tyre. My manual Page 47 second column says the mirror should return to the normal position when the car reaches 15 kmph or you switch off the ignition. These settings are saved to the remote control key when the vehicle is taken out of reverse - inferring that my better half could have different settings saved to her key?

MFGF
23-03-2012, 05:36 PM
This is an option I have been able to enable on some A4s and A5s in the past using VCDS - cars that do not have folding mirrors or memory seats. When I get my car (which does not have folding mirrors) I will take a look to see if it is possible to enable on the new A6.

MF.

nealeb
23-03-2012, 10:10 PM
MF - I think that you might be successful with the A6. My first A6/C7 had two errors in the original order. One was about adaptive lights, and the other was that the options ordered were for 6XE - heated/folding mirrors. I had actually wanted and asked for 6XF - heated/folding/memory mirrors. Clerical mistake in the ordering process. However, when the car arrived it did have memory mirrors, and I had the impression that the only difference between 6XE and 6XF was probably in the software setup, and it could well be that if you have memory seats (which I do) then it automatically enables the memory mirrors as well. In other words, the hardware has the capability and it's quite possibly just a configuration job to enable it. That's the memory bit - not so sure about folding as I could imagine that that needs an extra motor or something.

Memorising the reversing position on a per-driver basis is a nice touch but you do have to remember to switch to the appropriate mirror to make it happen!

MFGF
25-03-2012, 09:44 AM
All I was able to enable was the dipping function on reverse - the mirrors need specific motors to fold in automatically, and these are not present on cars where electrically folding mirrors have not been specified. On A4 and A5 models, the passenger door mirror dip feature is only supposed to be available where memory seats have been ordered, but actually can be enabled for any car by setting the relevant bit in the long coding of the passenger door control module. I hope to find the same when I get my new A6 next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD