PDA

View Full Version : Help needed re Oil change

barnsy
21-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi all.
I need some urgent advice on using the Pela 6000. I read in a number of forums that the oil could be extracted via the dip stick tube so started to try this evening. With the engine warm (and reading oil full on dipstick) I have the narrow tube inserted to about 15-20 cm from the join. When I pump I either just get air or about a seconds worth of oil and then air. If I wait a while and twiddle the tube about the same happens again. Been going about an hour now and only got about a litre. Any advice would be gratefully received as I am stumped as to where I’m going wrong and don’t have any stands so going via the sump is not a very good option right now :Blush2:.
Cheers

barnsy
21-03-2012, 11:00 PM
not sure whether it might be the Pela not sucking properly, I just emptied it into a bottle and a messed up plastic gasket type thing came out, I'm hoping it wasn't sucked out with the oil!?!?!
I'll try and clean it up and add a picture.

996jimbo
22-03-2012, 12:24 AM
I've only done it once with the Pella but I didn't have any such problems. Are you sure the thing is right in to the oil? Have you done lots of pumps over & over? I can't imagine anything other than liquid could go up the tube so maybe there is a problem with a seal allowing air in.

barnsy
22-03-2012, 01:54 AM
I tried pumping it anything between 3 and twenty times with no real pattern as to how many pumps sucked up most oil. I even tried getting the missus to pump it while I moved the tube about to see if I could get anything. I think the tube was in far enough as any further took enough force for it to be just bending, tried it anyway and at one point had it in up to the join, this was worse if anything.
I'll have to have a look at the pump again in the light tomorrow. Will it still suck the oil up cold if it is the pump and I can fix it? I wonder if I can return it with the inside all grimy, cant drive there in a car half full of oil that's for sure so I may have to get what I can, top it up with new oil and swap the filter and call it a half service. That would be pretty disappointing though. All the good reviews had me really keen. I guess its either faulty or I'm doing something seriously dumb.

barnsy
22-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Also between attempts I checked the pressure was equalised so as not to over do it, so it's not like I broke it just wildly pumping away for ages :(

Issac Hunt
22-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Oil needs to be hot. Won't work if oil is cold and thick.

Use the dipstick to measure the insertion depth of the suction tube. That'll ensure you've got the tube down into the oil. You'll feel it hit the bottom of the sump if you are careful.

martin1810
22-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Are you doing the extraction with the oil filler cap off ? A sealed breather system makes life hard on the Pella if you leave the cap on.

996jimbo
22-03-2012, 01:20 PM
It's possible that you're pushing the tube in so far it is bending back up so the end is out of the oil. If you're spent hours on it then I would suggest putting the wast oil in to a container and checking to see whether you can suck it out of that, so you can see what's going on.

barnsy
22-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Are you doing the extraction with the oil filler cap off ? A sealed breather system makes life hard on the Pella if you leave the cap on.

Good point, I did briefly try removing the filler cap to let air in but didn't give i tmuch of a chance, I'll make sure the cap is off from now and see if that helps, cheers

barnsy
22-03-2012, 02:36 PM
It's possible that you're pushing the tube in so far it is bending back up so the end is out of the oil. If you're spent hours on it then I would suggest putting the wast oil in to a container and checking to see whether you can suck it out of that, so you can see what's going on.

I did wonder if I was pushing it too far but I tried a wide variety of "depths" so not sure. Excellent point about trying the pump out on the waste, I'll definitely give that a go when I get in. Cheers

barnsy
22-03-2012, 07:02 PM
So I got home and tried the pump on the waste oil I managed to get out last night. The pump appears to work well, builds pressure/ suction nicely but the oil doesn't suck up at all, it seem like its just too thick. Its obviously going to be more difficult cold but as far as I can tell it dosen't really get any, nothing happens until I pull the pipe out and then it gurgles as the air goes through. maybe a blockage in the pipe? Or could the oil be just too thick? Its the 5w-40 recommended for the engine.

996jimbo
26-03-2012, 11:51 AM
If you're definitely getting a good vacuum then you could try sucking something thinner through it, just to see? As the suction end is a cable outer you could also try shoving a bicycle (brake) cable up it to see if it is clear. But really, if you're getting a good suction then that should be it - cold oil is thicker but it is still runny.

barnsy
02-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks all who offered advice. Got it to work in the end. I am not sure exactly what the problem was. Whilst trying with old waste oil it started off as above, sucking up next to nothing and over time the rate at which it sucked the oil up built. At first you couldnt see it doing anything so I left it an hour and when I went back it had emptied the bottle. I repeated the process and this time it visably ran much faster emptying 1.5 litres in maybe 20 mins with a couple of extra pumps to keep the pressure up. After that it worked great, exactly as described. I guess maybe there was something in the pipe, either strait from the box or I somehow blocked it with something strait away. Works fine now. If anyone had a similar issue I would recommend 996Jimbo's idea of pushing a bike cable or similar up it to check for blockages. After getting past this initial hiccup it worked a treat and I'd definitely recommend the Pela 6000 for convenience and cleanliness.
Cheers